Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Hung - you, or anyone here, tried 10M lines ?

  • Kite Power (Sydney)
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 20, 2003
      Living is inherently dangerous, and dying is natural and inevitable.
      Lofting can be avoided, common sense would and does prevent a lot of near/or death experiences.
      Short lines would only marginally decrease the risk of a fatal lofting, but long lines will definately contribute to a higher longer and faster lofting.
      Do not put a large kite over your head at the Zenith when on land or upwind of anything you could potentially be lofted into/onto. Keep your kite low, is the way to go!

      People have been playing with large powerful kites for a couple of decades, lofting is not new, nor is the concept of power kiting being dangerous. (no offence)

      www.kitepower.com.au

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 20, 2003
        > Do not put a large kite over your head at the Zenith when on land or upwind of
        anything you could potentially be lofted into/onto. Keep your kite low, is the way to
        go!

        .......seems as obvious as not crossing an autoban on a unicycle with your eyes
        closed?!

        Yet, Zenith was a 'place of rest' only a couple of years ago...'auto-zenith' was a big
        selling feature of ARC's over blimps...and zenith is where you see lots of kites in really
        crowded kite venues. Perhaps if along with terms like Power Zone we coin Death Zone
        to develop a verbal, intuitive warning.

        Steve: I hope you guys dn-udr are enjoying the warm weather, and you prosper in
        2004. Cheers.

        Jim
      • Kite Power (Sydney)
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 20, 2003
          Hi Jim
          Zenith does not really imply anything negative, and provided it is used and explained truthfully and honestly, there should be no hassle with using that term, IMO.
          I prefer the term DEATH ZONE, because it gets attention! :-) People in the trade seem to have an allergy to that term though, but I think their fears are unfounded. The model of a wind window in my shop is labelled the DEATH ZONE, and I don't intend to change it!

          IN my experience it is better to be honest with people right from their first enquiry, too many traders are sacrificing their integrity, for $$$ right now IMO!
          There are too many brands, way too many people trying to sell those brands, too much hype, too much BS, too much big ego and attention seeking too.
          It will sort itself out over the next couple of years, lets hope no too many more people die from preventable causes in the meantime.

          Summer finally hit about 2 weeks ago, winds have been good for some time though. Water is a balmy 22c and the temp is rarely below 20 either! Thanks for thje wishes, I hope you have a great christmas and smooth windy new year too! :-)
          www.kitepower.com.au