Re: Hung - you, or anyone here, tried 10M lines ?

  • hungvuatnetcomdotca
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 19, 2003
      I am not sure what is more dangerous: oversize kite with shorter lines
      or normal size kite with normal lines.

      I always prefer to use shorter lines in very strong wind (especially
      when going faster than 80 km/hr in the winter) so I guess shorter
      lines are safer.

      Hung.

      ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12co8s6iu/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroup

      web/S=1705100963:HM/EXP=1071683381/A=1853618/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Def

      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupmai
      > l/S=:HM/A=1853618/rand=418229659>
      >

      > _____
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      > ****CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE****
      > This e-mail is the property of The Methodist Hospital and/or its
      relevant affiliates and may contain confidential and privileged
      material for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review,
      use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If
      you are not the intended recipient(or authorized to receive for the
      recipient), please contact the sender and delete all copies of the
      message. Thank you.

    • ex_cpe
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 20, 2003
        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Sax, Steve, M.D." <ssax@t...> wrote:
        > Isn't it also potentially dangerous; eg, if you use shorter lines and a
        > larger kite, couldn't you be at increased risk for inadvertant lofting?

        ......Sax: Explain why you'd think this would be so?

        In my limited memory, lofting almost always seems to be associated with gusty
        conditions...

        Opinion; You have to be either foolishly fearless or clueless (no offense to the memory
        of deceased) to launch a nominal kite for grade 1 conditions when there is 2+ or 3X
        gusting, actual or forcast. I like ole' Fo's concepts of this kite play being inherently
        dangerous - some among us will die.

        'Hope it's not your time - anytine soon.

        Jim
      • Kite Power (Sydney)
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 20, 2003
          Living is inherently dangerous, and dying is natural and inevitable.
          Lofting can be avoided, common sense would and does prevent a lot of near/or death experiences.
          Short lines would only marginally decrease the risk of a fatal lofting, but long lines will definately contribute to a higher longer and faster lofting.
          Do not put a large kite over your head at the Zenith when on land or upwind of anything you could potentially be lofted into/onto. Keep your kite low, is the way to go!

          People have been playing with large powerful kites for a couple of decades, lofting is not new, nor is the concept of power kiting being dangerous. (no offence)

          www.kitepower.com.au

          > Isn't it also potentially dangerous; eg, if you use shorter lines and a
          > larger kite, couldn't you be at increased risk for inadvertant lofting?

          ......Sax: Explain why you'd think this would be so?

          In my limited memory, lofting almost always seems to be associated with gusty
          conditions...

          Opinion; You have to be either foolishly fearless or clueless (no offense to the memory
          of deceased) to launch a nominal kite for grade 1 conditions when there is 2+ or 3X
          gusting, actual or forcast. I like ole' Fo's concepts of this kite play being inherently
          dangerous - some among us will die.

          'Hope it's not your time - anytine soon.

          Jim

          http://www.nod32.com

        • ex_cpe
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 20, 2003
            > Do not put a large kite over your head at the Zenith when on land or upwind of
            anything you could potentially be lofted into/onto. Keep your kite low, is the way to
            go!

            .......seems as obvious as not crossing an autoban on a unicycle with your eyes
            closed?!

            Yet, Zenith was a 'place of rest' only a couple of years ago...'auto-zenith' was a big
            selling feature of ARC's over blimps...and zenith is where you see lots of kites in really
            crowded kite venues. Perhaps if along with terms like Power Zone we coin Death Zone
            to develop a verbal, intuitive warning.

            Steve: I hope you guys dn-udr are enjoying the warm weather, and you prosper in
            2004. Cheers.

            Jim
          • Kite Power (Sydney)
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 20, 2003
              Hi Jim
              Zenith does not really imply anything negative, and provided it is used and explained truthfully and honestly, there should be no hassle with using that term, IMO.
              I prefer the term DEATH ZONE, because it gets attention! :-) People in the trade seem to have an allergy to that term though, but I think their fears are unfounded. The model of a wind window in my shop is labelled the DEATH ZONE, and I don't intend to change it!

              IN my experience it is better to be honest with people right from their first enquiry, too many traders are sacrificing their integrity, for $$$ right now IMO!
              There are too many brands, way too many people trying to sell those brands, too much hype, too much BS, too much big ego and attention seeking too.
              It will sort itself out over the next couple of years, lets hope no too many more people die from preventable causes in the meantime.

              Summer finally hit about 2 weeks ago, winds have been good for some time though. Water is a balmy 22c and the temp is rarely below 20 either! Thanks for thje wishes, I hope you have a great christmas and smooth windy new year too! :-)
              www.kitepower.com.au