10M lines?

  • wetstuff@fastmail.fm
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 17, 2003

      > On the other hands, following are the problem with shorter lines:
      >
      > - Harder to jump as there is less extra power from the kite
      > - Harder to get on the board from water

      ............Hung: You are making good sense as usual, but this is the only point I do not
      grasp from one sentence. Elaborate please for us simple-minded.

      > - Require more constant wind.
      >
      > One way to handle these problems is going out with bigger kite but
      > shorter lines for the same condition.

      .........late last season I began doing 3-5km runs and would like to treat my kite/board
      like a touring bike as we have some 30km river runs with wide marshes on either side.
      Short lines may make this easier to do?!
    • hungvu2000@rogers.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 17, 2003
        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, wetstuff@f... wrote:

        > > On the other hands, following are the problem with shorter lines:
        > >
        > > - Harder to jump as there is less extra power from the kite
        > > - Harder to get on the board from water
        >
        > ............Hung: You are making good sense as usual, but this is
        the only point I do not
        > grasp from one sentence. Elaborate please for us simple-minded.

        The shorter line limits the wind window sphere (the distance the kite
        can travel - therefore shorter the time the kite can accelerate -
        before getting to the edge) it therefore limits the amount of extra
        force you can generate by moving the kite when jumping or getting on
        the board from the water. This phenomenon also makes kiting with
        shorter lines somewhat safer.

        With a normal kite size for the condition, it would be very hard
        getting on the board with 10m line and jumping with 15 m line.

        Shorter line is probably more desirable with an oversize kite and some
        pumping technique.