Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Hung - you, or anyone here, tried 10M lines?

  • Rick Howe
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 16, 2003
      Do yo get this stuff? Close out there - I'd be out if.... I need a bigger kite for this stuff. Lee's doing the pee thing and were gone - cell is on.
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 17, 2003

        > On the other hands, following are the problem with shorter lines:
        >
        > - Harder to jump as there is less extra power from the kite
        > - Harder to get on the board from water

        ............Hung: You are making good sense as usual, but this is the only point I do not
        grasp from one sentence. Elaborate please for us simple-minded.

        > - Require more constant wind.
        >
        > One way to handle these problems is going out with bigger kite but
        > shorter lines for the same condition.

        .........late last season I began doing 3-5km runs and would like to treat my kite/board
        like a touring bike as we have some 30km river runs with wide marshes on either side.
        Short lines may make this easier to do?!
      • hungvu2000@rogers.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 17, 2003
          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, wetstuff@f... wrote:

          > > On the other hands, following are the problem with shorter lines:
          > >
          > > - Harder to jump as there is less extra power from the kite
          > > - Harder to get on the board from water
          >
          > ............Hung: You are making good sense as usual, but this is
          the only point I do not
          > grasp from one sentence. Elaborate please for us simple-minded.

          The shorter line limits the wind window sphere (the distance the kite
          can travel - therefore shorter the time the kite can accelerate -
          before getting to the edge) it therefore limits the amount of extra
          force you can generate by moving the kite when jumping or getting on
          the board from the water. This phenomenon also makes kiting with
          shorter lines somewhat safer.

          With a normal kite size for the condition, it would be very hard
          getting on the board with 10m line and jumping with 15 m line.

          Shorter line is probably more desirable with an oversize kite and some
          pumping technique.