Hung - you, or anyone here, tried 10M lines?

  • wetstuff@fastmail.fm
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 16, 2003
      There's that guy in Hawaii who comes off as a Prophet promoting short lines...and I've
      gone the other way stretchng out to 30+M looking for an advantage - without the
      skills or sensitvity to judge the results. But, real short lines seem interesting..

      I can imagine a quick motion to the front of the window, but would the angle be as
      good?

      Would a 4-line depower as well?

      Would this be better for a 2-line blimp?

      I'm going to fab a set, but it's 'tween-season here - blustry, cold water but no snow.

      Jim
    • hungvu2000@rogers.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 16, 2003
        On snow, you can go as short as 0 m line (high speed run, no jumping)

        For sailing on water only, you can go as short as 10 m

        For jumping you can go as short as 15 m (shorter than that it is very
        difficult to jump).

        4 line depowering works well with shorter lines (probably even better
        as the depowering is faster). The angle is better as the kite has
        less drag.

        On the other hands, following are the problem with shorter lines:

        - Harder to jump as there is less extra power from the kite
        - Harder to get on the board from water
        - Require more constant wind.

        One way to handle these problems is going out with bigger kite but
        shorter lines for the same condition.

        P.S., One can probably jump with 10 m lines using oversize kite and
        the pumping technique but I haven't tried it out extensively yet.

        P.P.S., The reason why 30m become the standard line length due to its
        ease of jumping and very good performance in most cases.

        Hung.

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, wetstuff@f... wrote:
        > There's that guy in Hawaii who comes off as a Prophet promoting
        short lines...and I've
        > gone the other way stretchng out to 30+M looking for an advantage -
        without the
        > skills or sensitvity to judge the results. But, real short lines
        seem interesting..

        > I can imagine a quick motion to the front of the window, but would
        the angle be as
        > good?
        >
        > Would a 4-line depower as well?
        >
        > Would this be better for a 2-line blimp?
        >
        > I'm going to fab a set, but it's 'tween-season here - blustry, cold
        water but no snow.

        > Jim
      • Rick Howe
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 16, 2003
          Do yo get this stuff? Close out there - I'd be out if.... I need a bigger kite for this stuff. Lee's doing the pee thing and were gone - cell is on.

        • wetstuff@fastmail.fm
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 17, 2003

            > On the other hands, following are the problem with shorter lines:
            >
            > - Harder to jump as there is less extra power from the kite
            > - Harder to get on the board from water

            ............Hung: You are making good sense as usual, but this is the only point I do not
            grasp from one sentence. Elaborate please for us simple-minded.

            > - Require more constant wind.
            >
            > One way to handle these problems is going out with bigger kite but
            > shorter lines for the same condition.

            .........late last season I began doing 3-5km runs and would like to treat my kite/board
            like a touring bike as we have some 30km river runs with wide marshes on either side.
            Short lines may make this easier to do?!
          • hungvu2000@rogers.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 17, 2003
              --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, wetstuff@f... wrote:

              > > On the other hands, following are the problem with shorter lines:
              > >
              > > - Harder to jump as there is less extra power from the kite
              > > - Harder to get on the board from water
              >
              > ............Hung: You are making good sense as usual, but this is
              the only point I do not
              > grasp from one sentence. Elaborate please for us simple-minded.

              The shorter line limits the wind window sphere (the distance the kite
              can travel - therefore shorter the time the kite can accelerate -
              before getting to the edge) it therefore limits the amount of extra
              force you can generate by moving the kite when jumping or getting on
              the board from the water. This phenomenon also makes kiting with
              shorter lines somewhat safer.

              With a normal kite size for the condition, it would be very hard
              getting on the board with 10m line and jumping with 15 m line.

              Shorter line is probably more desirable with an oversize kite and some
              pumping technique.