skis or snowboard, which has less drag using 3m trainer?

  • svenreitav
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 16, 2003
      I was told to try skis with a 3m trainer. Will using a board cause
      too much drag for such a small kite?
      Cheers
      Sven
    • Brian
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 16, 2003
        Skis or a snowboard will work equally well. Choose which ever you
        prefer or are better at. Skis offer an advantage to learning since
        you can walk around with them to tension your kite lines. If you
        are comfortable on a snowboard you will find the riding to be just
        as easy.

        The size kite depends on wind and snow conditions. Powder will
        require more juice, where hard packed surfaces offer less friction
        resistance. On most terrain a 3 meter kite will get you going in 10-
        15 mph.

        Windzup

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "svenreitav" <svenreitav@y...>
        wrote:
        > I was told to try skis with a 3m trainer. Will using a board cause
        > too much drag for such a small kite?
        > Cheers
        > Sven
      • Guy Platt
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 16, 2003
          This looks like a knowledgeable response.

          To add a question to it, I've moved from a warm climate to Sweden, which
          is better to start with if you've spent almost no time on skis and never
          been on a snowboard (also never kite surfed) :)

          I ordered a 3m kite but was just puzzling over the next step. A friend
          recommended I get (borrow or rent) some of the skis which are only
          around a meter long (I haven't seen them but he indicated the size with
          his arms. Says they use regular ski bindings? Unfortunately I don't know
          what they are called.

          -- Guy

          Brian penned the following on 11/16/2003 5:50 PM:

          > Skis or a snowboard will work equally well. Choose which ever you
          > prefer or are better at. Skis offer an advantage to learning since
          > you can walk around with them to tension your kite lines. If you
          > are comfortable on a snowboard you will find the riding to be just
          > as easy.
          >
          > The size kite depends on wind and snow conditions. Powder will
          > require more juice, where hard packed surfaces offer less friction
          > resistance. On most terrain a 3 meter kite will get you going in 10-
          > 15 mph.
          >
          > Windzup
        • Chris Glazier
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 16, 2003
            Yes, short skis which are used for tricks would be ideal for
            learning to kite because they are easier to walk around with and
            easier for a beginner. I think they would definitely be easier than
            a snowboard.

            Learning kiting skills on snow is also considered a good and easy
            introduction to kitesurfing on the water.

            Chris Glazier

            --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Guy Platt <guy@w...> wrote:
            > This looks like a knowledgeable response.
            >
            > To add a question to it, I've moved from a warm climate to Sweden,
            which
            > is better to start with if you've spent almost no time on skis and
            never
            > been on a snowboard (also never kite surfed) :)
            >
            > I ordered a 3m kite but was just puzzling over the next step. A
            friend
            > recommended I get (borrow or rent) some of the skis which are only
            > around a meter long (I haven't seen them but he indicated the size
            with
            > his arms. Says they use regular ski bindings? Unfortunately I
            don't know
            > what they are called.
            >
            > -- Guy
            >
            > Brian penned the following on 11/16/2003 5:50 PM:
            >
            > > Skis or a snowboard will work equally well. Choose which ever
            you
            > > prefer or are better at. Skis offer an advantage to learning
            since
            > > you can walk around with them to tension your kite lines. If you
            > > are comfortable on a snowboard you will find the riding to be
            just
            > > as easy.
            > >
            > > The size kite depends on wind and snow conditions. Powder will
            > > require more juice, where hard packed surfaces offer less
            friction
            > > resistance. On most terrain a 3 meter kite will get you going
            in 10-
            > > 15 mph.
            > >
            > > Windzup
          • Andre Ethier
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 17, 2003
              The name for this type of ski is a 'snowblade'.
              Because they're so short they don't provide as much
              edging power especially on ice, and they won't be good
              in powder, otherwise they should be fine. The benefit
              for this type of ski is that, it is much easier to
              walk with and to turn around.

              Andre

              ---------------------------------

              <guy@w...> wrote:
              > This looks like a knowledgeable response.
              >
              > To add a question to it, I've moved from a warm
              climate to Sweden,
              which
              > is better to start with if you've spent almost no
              time on skis and
              never
              > been on a snowboard (also never kite surfed) :)
              >
              > I ordered a 3m kite but was just puzzling over the
              next step. A
              friend
              > recommended I get (borrow or rent) some of the skis
              which are only
              > around a meter long (I haven't seen them but he
              indicated the size
              with
              > his arms. Says they use regular ski bindings?
              Unfortunately I
              don't know
              > what they are called.
              >
              > -- Guy
              >
              > Brian penned the following on 11/16/2003 5:50 PM:
              >
              > > Skis or a snowboard will work equally well.
              Choose which ever
              you
              > > prefer or are better at. Skis offer an advantage
              to learning
              since
              > > you can walk around with them to tension your kite
              lines. If you
              > > are comfortable on a snowboard you will find the
              riding to be
              just
              > > as easy.
              > >
              > > The size kite depends on wind and snow conditions.
              Powder will
              > > require more juice, where hard packed surfaces
              offer less
              friction
              > > resistance. On most terrain a 3 meter kite will
              get you going
              in 10-
              > > 15 mph.
              > >
              > > Windzup

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

              answers
              to the most frequently asked questions.

              To unsubscribe, please send an email to
              ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
              To subscribe, please send an email to
              ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

              Terms of Service.

            • Cal Bode
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 20, 2003
                Today while flying my trainer kite, I made a discovery...

                If you want to launch the trainer kite by yourself, there are 2 ways to do it easily.

                One is to have the kite on the opposite side of a hill or ditch so when you pull it has an upward effect because the hill acts as a lever on the lines.

                The other way and definitely my FAVORITE is to use a park fence like a baseball field fence. If there is wind, it will stick for you. It is kind of like putting a flat sheet of paper on the back side of a fan. THe fence needs to be strait downwind and you directly upwind.

                Does anyone else have any suggestions?

                I can't believe I'm so addicted to this sport and I haven't even started yet.

                Cheers

              • Rick Howe
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 20, 2003
                  Cal,
                  Quit before it is too late!! It's the worst kind of addiction! I started like you and now have 5 LEIs and just bought my 6 th bi-directional and I'm still looking for more stuff! I've friends that are worse than me! I'm 65, fly every day, and don't see the end of this addiction. Maybe cold turkey - is there a kiteaholic organization? Help!
                  Try to get help and save yourself now!!

                  Rick

                  Ps - Here's launch #3 (my favorite) - put the kite on its back with the top down wind. Put sand on the bottom of the kite - pull the kite toward you and ....

                  Today while flying my trainer kite, I made a discovery...

                  If you want to launch the trainer kite by yourself, there are 2 ways to do it easily.

                  One is to have the kite on the opposite side of a hill or ditch so when you pull it has an upward effect because the hill acts as a lever on the lines.

                  The other way and definitely my FAVORITE is to use a park fence like a baseball field fence. If there is wind, it will stick for you. It is kind of like putting a flat sheet of paper on the back side of a fan. THe fence needs to be strait downwind and you directly upwind.

                  Does anyone else have any suggestions?

                  I can't believe I'm so addicted to this sport and I haven't even started yet.

                  Cheers

                • Kite Power (Sydney)
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 20, 2003
                    Its too laTE! :-))))))
                    www.kitepower.com.au

                    Today while flying my trainer kite, I made a discovery...

                    If you want to launch the trainer kite by yourself, there are 2 ways to do it easily.

                    One is to have the kite on the opposite side of a hill or ditch so when you pull it has an upward effect because the hill acts as a lever on the lines.

                    The other way and definitely my FAVORITE is to use a park fence like a baseball field fence. If there is wind, it will stick for you. It is kind of like putting a flat sheet of paper on the back side of a fan. THe fence needs to be strait downwind and you directly upwind.

                    Does anyone else have any suggestions?

                    I can't believe I'm so addicted to this sport and I haven't even started yet.

                    Cheers

                    This message was checked by NOD32 Antivirus System.
                    http://www.nod32.com

                  • fernmanus
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
                      Snowblades are great for jumping, but they require much more energy
                      to edge than a pair of skis.

                      If you have never skied or snowboarded, skis are far easier to use.
                      For a couple reasons. If you fall forward on a snowboard (easy to
                      do) you will either have to fly the kite overhead and literally jump
                      to your feet or take off the board and put it on again. Skis are
                      more stable and you can edge more effectively.

                      Snowboards are excellent for jumping and in powder conditions. On
                      flat hard surfaces, skis are preferable.

                      Kenny

                      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Andre Ethier <skiwithandre@y...>

                      _