Re: Getting started

  • hungvuatnetcomdotca
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 13, 2003
      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Guy Platt <guy@w...> wrote:
      > The big question for me is whether I can buy a learner kite which I
      will
      > also be able to use on the ice or snow. I've been looking the slingshot
      > B3 as a starter kite, but want to know whether it would have enough
      > power to more me on a snowboard in some icy snow. I presume it will be
      > fine on the ice as the wind blows me along pretty easily when I'm on
      the
      > long skates people use here.

      The B3 (3 m2 foil ?) may be OK in moderate to strong wind on icy snow.
      However, you will soon find that on icy snow you probably want to use
      skis rather than snowboard.

      > Alternatively, should I learn on an even smaller kite then buy
      something
      > better suited to my needs once I can fly the kite?

      As a winter trainer kite, you can go up to roughly 4 m2 foil without
      being getting into too dangerous situations as long as you always
      learn to fly in light to moderate wind and in wide open space. One of
      the advantage of learning in the winter is that you are always "on
      snow" and can be in wide open space (i.e., you don't have to learn how
      to fly the kite on land, near people, rocks and other hard objects)