Alex Caviglia's Kiteboarding Accident

  • Rick Iossi
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 13, 2003
      I just received the following detailed accident summary from Kent
      Marinkovic, close friend and colleague of Alex Caviglia. Kent interviewed
      several bystanders and kiteboarders at the accident scene in preparing this
      summary.

      "On Tuesday, November 12, 2003 at approximately 3:30 pm, Alex Caviglia the
      President of Adventure Sports was injured in a serious kiteboarding
      accident. The incident occurred at Matheson Hammock Park in a suburb of
      Miami. Matheson Hammock is one of the most popular locations for
      kiteboarding in Miami. The conditions at the time of the incident were
      ranging between 21-34 MPH and gusty. The wind was from the NNE and directly
      onshore. The incident occurred within seconds after the launch of his kite.
      The launch area is confined and approximately 35 meters in length and 2 to-5
      meters in width (from the water to the parking lot). Due to the onshore
      conditions and the narrow width of the launch site, Alex was limited to
      being only 4 to 5 feet from the shore (knee deep in water) prior to his
      launch. His kite was also either over the land or just 2-3 feet off the
      shoreline. An experienced kiteboarder assisted in the launching of Alex�s
      kite and had released the kite after Alex had signaled him to do so. The
      launch was clean and free from fouls or twists. Alex proceeded to raise the
      kite to approximately the 3:00 position (about 12 to18 feet above the water
      and very low). Just after the launch, the gusty conditions caused the kite
      to drift slightly back (down wind and over the shoreline), approximately 8
      to10 feet from its original position which was far forward and out of the
      power zone. The kite quickly and sharply accelerated, causing Alex to lurch
      forward, out of control. Given the extremely narrow span of the launch
      region, Alex had literally a fraction of a second before colliding with the
      shoreline. Two witnesses (both kitesurfers) indicated that Alex had neither
      the time, nor the opportunity to activate his safety release system and that
      his hands never left the bar.

      Fortunately, two of the witnesses on the beach (one a kiter) were fire
      fighters and certified paramedics. The first assistance by one of the
      witnessing paramedics reached Alex within 15 seconds of the time of the
      accident. The quick acting paramedics were able to contact emergency
      services within seconds and directly request that the Trauma center launch a
      rescue helicopter immediately. Alex was airlifted to Jackson Memorial Trauma
      center in Miami where he remains.

      Alex�s current condition is critical, but stable. He has suffered serious
      head injuries, but doctors have performed procedures that have gone as
      planned and without incident. He is reported to also have other serious, but
      less threatening injuries. These injuries are yet to be determined. Doctors
      at Jackson Memorial hospital have indicated that more information on the
      severity of Alex�s injuries will come during the next 48 hours. "

      Kent related some encouraging news from the hospital to me. Alex has revived
      to a degree into what the doctors call a "light coma." That is even though
      he is still unconscious, he is responding to some verbal instructions. Alex
      still has some ground to recover but this is excellent news! Alex, our
      prayers and thoughts are with you.

      _________________
      FKA, Inc.
      transcribed by: Rick Iossi

      Promote "Ride Hard & Safer, Ten Ideas..." PRESERVE YOUR ACCESS TO RIDE
      http://www.kiteforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=3881&forum=3&4

      MSN Shopping upgraded for the holidays! Snappier product search...
      http://shopping.msn.com
    • hungvuatnetcomdotca
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 13, 2003
        This is a terrible news!

        I hope that Alex will fully recover soon.

        November seems to be the worst month for kiting accidents. I am just
        wondering why ???

        (we normally don't kite around here in November: too cold for
        kitesurfing and too warm for kiteskiing/kitesnowboarding)

        Hung.

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Iossi" <flkitesurfer@h...>

      • Bob March
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 13, 2003
          Hey Hung,
          In florida october through april is the most consistent time. It is also the windiest time and not too cold all winter. This november has been exceptionally windy 35+mph which we dont see that often.
          Wish alex the best
          Bob