Getting started

  • Guy Platt
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 9, 2003
      Hi,

      I've thought that this winter I'd try kitesurfing. I've got a couple of
      newbie questions which I'm hoping someone might help me with. I have
      read the www.kitesurfingschool.org/kiteskiing.htm web site which is
      pretty much all I've read on kitesurfing on snow and ice.

      The big question for me is whether I can buy a learner kite which I will
      also be able to use on the ice or snow. I've been looking the slingshot
      B3 as a starter kite, but want to know whether it would have enough
      power to more me on a snowboard in some icy snow. I presume it will be
      fine on the ice as the wind blows me along pretty easily when I'm on the
      long skates people use here.

      Alternatively, should I learn on an even smaller kite then buy something
      better suited to my needs once I can fly the kite?

      many thanks
      Guy

      About myself:

      I live in Sweden, about 40 kilometers south of Stockholm. Plenty of
      frozen lakes and sea around for me to go out on. 85 kgs. Never been on a
      snowboard. Windsurfed for about 15 years. Intermediate skater.
    • hungvuatnetcomdotca
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 13, 2003
        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Guy Platt <guy@w...> wrote:
        > The big question for me is whether I can buy a learner kite which I
        will
        > also be able to use on the ice or snow. I've been looking the slingshot
        > B3 as a starter kite, but want to know whether it would have enough
        > power to more me on a snowboard in some icy snow. I presume it will be
        > fine on the ice as the wind blows me along pretty easily when I'm on
        the
        > long skates people use here.

        The B3 (3 m2 foil ?) may be OK in moderate to strong wind on icy snow.
        However, you will soon find that on icy snow you probably want to use
        skis rather than snowboard.

        > Alternatively, should I learn on an even smaller kite then buy
        something
        > better suited to my needs once I can fly the kite?

        As a winter trainer kite, you can go up to roughly 4 m2 foil without
        being getting into too dangerous situations as long as you always
        learn to fly in light to moderate wind and in wide open space. One of
        the advantage of learning in the winter is that you are always "on
        snow" and can be in wide open space (i.e., you don't have to learn how
        to fly the kite on land, near people, rocks and other hard objects)