Re: [ksurfschool] Recovering a dropped bar?

  • matt nuzzo
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2003
      Aside from learning to not drop the bar, ;-) the best
      solution is have an experienced rider help show you
      how to rig your leash to the center lines. This will
      reduce much of the tangle associated with the kite
      flipping. Thus relauching will be easier, though never
      perfect. At least the kite may still fly straight.

      Fly safe....

      Ron Robinson

      Ron@...
      866-REAL-KITE
      757-943-0109 Cell
      www.REALkiteboarding.com
      --- chriskefalonia <chriskefalonia@...> wrote:
      > Am trying to learn ksurfing here on Kefalonia in
      > Greece and am
      > overcoming most challenges except one. That is, when
      > I drop the bar
      > (I use a 14m Aero), the day is over for me, bar a
      > long drawn out game
      > of chicken with the local ferry. I use a re-ride
      > system which
      > supposedly reduces tangles in the line. However,
      > every time I recover
      > the bar, the other lines are tangled aroung the CAS,
      > bar, myself,
      > etc. With the kite being dragged downwind, it seems
      > impossible to de-
      > tangle lines that are under tension. I have been
      > rescued by my
      > windsurfing mates 3 times now and on the other
      > occasions have had a 2
      > hour drift ashore.
      >
      > Any tips here would be well received, as would any
      > on self rescue.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Chris

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
    • TheYellowJersey
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 9, 2003
        I couldn't tell from your email if you are using a safety leash or
        not. If you are, a trick I learned was to attach the safety leash to
        the board while I swim down the line to the bar. This keeps the
        safety line tensioned so it doesn't wrap around the bar since the
        kite will go downwind faster than the board. I then swim back to my
        board, making sure the lines don't get tangled (It helps to fully
        depower your chicken loop). I've succesfully relaunched my kite
        several times using this technique. Before using it I almost always
        had lines wrapped around the bar making the kite un relaunchable.

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, matt nuzzo <realkiteobx@y...>