Recovering a dropped bar?

  • chriskefalonia
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2003
      Am trying to learn ksurfing here on Kefalonia in Greece and am
      overcoming most challenges except one. That is, when I drop the bar
      (I use a 14m Aero), the day is over for me, bar a long drawn out game
      of chicken with the local ferry. I use a re-ride system which
      supposedly reduces tangles in the line. However, every time I recover
      the bar, the other lines are tangled aroung the CAS, bar, myself,
      etc. With the kite being dragged downwind, it seems impossible to de-
      tangle lines that are under tension. I have been rescued by my
      windsurfing mates 3 times now and on the other occasions have had a 2
      hour drift ashore.

      Any tips here would be well received, as would any on self rescue.

      Cheers,

      Chris
    • matt nuzzo
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2003
        Aside from learning to not drop the bar, ;-) the best
        solution is have an experienced rider help show you
        how to rig your leash to the center lines. This will
        reduce much of the tangle associated with the kite
        flipping. Thus relauching will be easier, though never
        perfect. At least the kite may still fly straight.

        Fly safe....

        Ron Robinson

        Ron@...
        866-REAL-KITE
        757-943-0109 Cell
        www.REALkiteboarding.com
        --- chriskefalonia <chriskefalonia@...> wrote:
        > Am trying to learn ksurfing here on Kefalonia in
        > Greece and am
        > overcoming most challenges except one. That is, when
        > I drop the bar
        > (I use a 14m Aero), the day is over for me, bar a
        > long drawn out game
        > of chicken with the local ferry. I use a re-ride
        > system which
        > supposedly reduces tangles in the line. However,
        > every time I recover
        > the bar, the other lines are tangled aroung the CAS,
        > bar, myself,
        > etc. With the kite being dragged downwind, it seems
        > impossible to de-
        > tangle lines that are under tension. I have been
        > rescued by my
        > windsurfing mates 3 times now and on the other
        > occasions have had a 2
        > hour drift ashore.
        >
        > Any tips here would be well received, as would any
        > on self rescue.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Chris

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
      • TheYellowJersey
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 9, 2003
          I couldn't tell from your email if you are using a safety leash or
          not. If you are, a trick I learned was to attach the safety leash to
          the board while I swim down the line to the bar. This keeps the
          safety line tensioned so it doesn't wrap around the bar since the
          kite will go downwind faster than the board. I then swim back to my
          board, making sure the lines don't get tangled (It helps to fully
          depower your chicken loop). I've succesfully relaunched my kite
          several times using this technique. Before using it I almost always
          had lines wrapped around the bar making the kite un relaunchable.

          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, matt nuzzo <realkiteobx@y...>