Board Upwindability?

  • George Sarris
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2003
      I'd like to pose a question to the group:

      What criteria make a board with good upwind
      capabilities?

      a) sharp rails?
      b) rocker? More or less?
      c) tail shape? Fat or thin?
      d) fins? Big ones?
      e) bottom shape? Concave or Flat or ???

      In general what type boards are better than others at
      going upwind? Twintips, Pickleforks, dirctionals?

      OR.... Is going upwind a matter of the kite design or
      the skill of the kiter?

      Any thoughts???

      Mahalo,
      Jake "The Snake" Farley

    • hungvuatnetcomdotca
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2003
        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, George Sarris
        <jakefarley2000@y...> wrote:
        > I'd like to pose a question to the group:
        >
        > What criteria make a board with good upwind
        > capabilities?
        >
        > a) sharp rails?

        Bottom up rail: worst for upwind
        neutral rail: OK for upwind
        Top down rail: great for upwind

        > b) rocker? More or less?

        More rocker less upwind

        > c) tail shape? Fat or thin?

        wider is better for upwind

        > d) fins? Big ones?

        Don't need any

        > e) bottom shape? Concave or Flat or ???

        Flat is fine!

        > In general what type boards are better than others at
        > going upwind? Twintips, Pickleforks, dirctionals?

        Twintips and directionals are fine. Picklefork tail is not quite
        relevant.

        > OR.... Is going upwind a matter of the kite design or
        > the skill of the kiter?

        Both. a better kite makes it easier.

        Hung.
      • George Sarris
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2003
          Thanks Hung! I just finished constructing a board
          that meets all the criteria for a good upwind board.
          I hope to soon try it out as soon as I get the right
          combination of time off from work and wind. It seems
          as though they never conicide.

          Thanks Again,
          Jake