Relaunching a 4 line kite

  • Paul Underhill
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 19, 2000
      Hello,

      I am a novice kiteboarder with a problem (sounds like an introduction
      at K.A. - Kiteboarders Anonymous). I fly a Wipika 8.5 Classic.
      Recently, I converted to 4 lines. Previously, with the 2 line setup,
      I was able to water relaunch successfully so long as I didn't let go
      of the bar and get the lines crossed.

      Yesterday, I crashed the kite (in deep water) for the first time with
      the 4 line setup. I am not sure why, but I could not relaunch (wind
      seemed to be just under 10 knots). At one point, the kite appeared to
      blow inside out. After struggling for about 10 minutes while getting
      swept downwind, I decided to simply wind up the lines and paddle in.
      Easier said than done! The surfboard leash somehow got caught in the
      lines, and when I was half way wound in, the kite briefly powered up
      and spun over. Suffice it to say thinds were a total mess.

      Question: Is there anything I should be doing differently in trying
      to relaunch the 4 line setup???

      Thanks for the input,

      Paul
    • Farnsworth, Kenny
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 19, 2000
        Paul,

        I have dealt with the same frustrations. Relaunching the 4 line Wipika is
        virtually the same as the 2 line. However, you had two strikes against you.
        1. The wind was very light (10 knots is not much for a 8.5 Wipika. I have
        a difficult time water relaunching my Wipika 11.0 Free Air in only 10
        knots). 2. It sounds like the leading edge of the kite was underinflated.
        This will cause the kite to twist around and sometimes turn inside out, pump
        up the leading edge so that it is free from wrinkles and pretty hard.

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 19, 2000
          Thanks Kenny.

          This leads to another question. Ever since my last leading edge
          bladder repair, there have been a couple of creases/wrinkles that
          don't seem to dissapear, no matter how hard I pump up the kite.

          Does anyone have suggestions on how to correct this??

          --- In ksurfschool@egroups.com, "Farnsworth, Kenny" <kenny@r...>
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 21, 2000
            Paul,

            I have had similar problems. The creases occur because the bladder is
            slightly twisted or kinked in spots. I found it really takes two people to
            properly replace the leading edge bladder. It works best if one person
            pulls the bladder towards the small end of the kite using a string, while
            the other person carefully feeds the bladder into the leading edge this
            helps prevents twist, creases and bunching of the leading edge and bladder.
            Once the bladder is inside you need to make sure that the leading edge is
            not bunched up. You may need to partially inflate the bladder several times
            to remove creases in the leading edge. If you have a full twist in the
            bladder, you will need to pull the bladder out and start over again. It can
            be a real pain in the neck, but don't worry will some time and effort you
            can get the bladder completely straight again.