Re: Fusion vs North Defender..

  • Sam Morgan
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 2003
      Wow,that makes sense. I try to stand on the tail of the 180, but i
      keep bouncing over the top of waves etc, and end up down wind really
      quickly. Short but wide is the go then? Have you any experience witha
      mutant or would the volume of the mutant end up putting me over the
      edge like my current board?
      I just feel like going from a 180 to a 130 would end up making me
      sink in the lulls and make getting going a hassle.
      Thanks, your a legend.
      -S

      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "hink_trent" <hink_trent@y...>
      wrote:
      > A shorter twintip will make handling the board at speed much
      easier.
      > You really never need a board longer than about 150cm, and that is
      > for marginally light or really gusty wind.
      >
      > I think you would be better off with a twintip in the 120-135 cm
      > range, with a relatively flat fast rocker and 38-41 cm wide. If you
      > can you should try some of the new short fast twintip shapes,
      You'll
      > be suprised at how easy they are to ride and how well they go in
      > light wind. These short boards can handle a lot of power because
      > putting your weight back on the tail will dig it in to slow you
      down
      > a little as well as making the board turn upwind more easily.
      >
      > Look for low volume and thin rails for better handling in choppy
      > conditions. A lower volume board is going to hold and go through
      the
      > rough stuff when you have it on edge, instead of trying to bounce
      up
      > and over everything.
      >
      > The only downside to the shorter shapes is that in gusty conditions
      > you have to pay a little more attention to flattening the board out
      > bit and getting your weight more centered so you can coast through
      > the lulls. Once you get that figured out they are a blast to ride
      > because you can hold down so much power in the gusts.
      >

      > --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Sam Morgan" <nippleteam@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > I need a new board to hold down my 16m Rhino, my switch 180 is
      just
      > > too 'sketchy' when the gusts pick up. These things aren't cheap!
      So