Re: [ksurfschool] Snowkiting and foils to use

  • p
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 7, 2003
      If you are looking for a kite just for snow then consider bridled foils which are, in my opinion, the most efficient kites available. The Libra Bora is a personal favourite traction kite- super stable and pulls like a train. Flexifoil blades are a proven kite that have been used on water.

      If you are looking for dual purpose foils then I would seriously consider the peter lynn gARC (unbridled foil) great for jumping and super stable. The flysurfer titan is also worth considering although its not everyones cup of tea.

      Just bear in mind that land traction kiting is a much older and larger sport, although I'm sure the slingshot is a great kite (I've never flown one) just be aware that there is a world of kite manufacturers out there with some super kites that you may not have heard of. You dont necessarily have to buy from a manufacturer that produces both kitesurfing and land traction kites. I will admit that traction kiting is not as big here in the US as it is in Europe and some brands are a little harder to come by.

      Do you want to stick with bars or move over to handles? I could be wrong here but if you want a high performance bridled foil you may have to use handles - the control system that foils seem to be better suited too.

      Cal Bode <caljbode@...> wrote:
      I am thinking about getting into snowkiting. Does anyone have recommendations about:
      -kite foil sizes?
      -brands that are decent?
      -wind speed correlation for sizes?

      I am 6' 170 and would like to use in untracked snow.

      Does anyone have experience with the Slingshot B series kites? What is a good size for untracked snow and specific wind conditions?

      Also any other advice you can give me would be awesome.

      Thanks,

      Cal

      hink_trent <hink_trent@...> wrote:
      If you rig an inflatable with a fifth line or get a one of the
      cabrihna recon kites it will work fine in the winter, it's just
      harder to set up in the cold and you are more likely to dammage the
      kite than with a foil (broken bladders from crashing).

      Personally, I like foils on the snow and water.

      As far as kite size goes, for learning in 10-15mph and 10-20mph for a
      more advanced rider, you could go with one of the following:

      12 meter 4-line inflatable
      7.5 meter 2-line foil
      9.5 flysurfer or Ozone sheetable foil

      Those kites will work for you on wind packed snow with a snowboard,
      which is usually what you will find on a frozen lake. In deep fresh
      or sticky snow you might want a little more wind or a bigger kite.
      Waxing your board will make a big difference. For bare ice you need
      something much smaller and a pair of skis.

      Practice many hours with a trainer kite to start, and take your big
      kite out in 10mph or less the first time you try to fly it. A trainer
      kite around 3m would also work well with ice skates in light wind,
      but you get the death wobbles easily if you go fast on skates,
      especially on natural ice. It's good practice though, because the
      kite flies a little differently when you are moving across the wind
      rather than standing still.

      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Cal Bode <caljbode@y...> wrote:

      > I am 6' 170 and want a kite to learn with and use it for
      snowboarding on lakes in the winter for now until the summer when I
      buy an inflatable kite... any recommendations for kite sizes and
      corresponding wind speeds?

      > Are foils the way to go?
      >

      > Thanks guys,
      >
      > CAL

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Kite Power (Sydney)
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 7, 2003
        Slingshot make great kitesurfing kites, but their land based foils are pretty ordinary compared to foil kites from more experienced manufacturers. Some of the best I have tried are from Flexifoil, Ozone and Peter Lynn.
        All the SS foils are 2 line, you really want and need 4 line for best performance and safety on land/snow, or water.
        www.kitepower.com.au

        hink_trent <hink_trent@...> wrote:
        If you rig an inflatable with a fifth line or get a one of the
        cabrihna recon kites it will work fine in the winter, it's just
        harder to set up in the cold and you are more likely to dammage the
        kite than with a foil (broken bladders from crashing).

        Personally, I like foils on the snow and water.

        As far as kite size goes, for learning in 10-15mph and 10-20mph for a
        more advanced rider, you could go with one of the following:

        12 meter 4-line inflatable
        7.5 meter 2-line foil
        9.5 flysurfer or Ozone sheetable foil

        Those kites will work for you on wind packed snow with a snowboard,
        which is usually what you will find on a frozen lake. In deep fresh
        or sticky snow you might want a little more wind or a bigger kite.
        Waxing your board will make a big difference. For bare ice you need
        something much smaller and a pair of skis.

        Practice many hours with a trainer kite to start, and take your big
        kite out in 10mph or less the first time you try to fly it. A trainer
        kite around 3m would also work well with ice skates in light wind,
        but you get the death wobbles easily if you go fast on skates,
        especially on natural ice. It's good practice though, because the
        kite flies a little differently when you are moving across the wind
        rather than standing still.

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Cal Bode <caljbode@y...> wrote:

        > I am 6' 170 and want a kite to learn with and use it for
        snowboarding on lakes in the winter for now until the summer when I
        buy an inflatable kite... any recommendations for kite sizes and
        corresponding wind speeds?

        > Are foils the way to go?
        >

        > Thanks guys,
        >
        > CAL

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        This message was checked by NOD32 Antivirus System.
        http://www.nod32.com

      • pksebago
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 8, 2003
          The Peter Lynn C-Quads are great on snow. I use them with handles
          and a backstrap. Great performance and very powerful. Easy
          relaunch, easy to kill power since they lay flat on the surface,might
          require a little more in the way of kite flying skills, but well
          worth it. I also think they are less expensive than some of the
          other options. I'm 200 lb and ski with a 4.2 and 2.2. There are
          some very light wind days when a 6.3 would be useful but if the wind
          is that light, I'm better off doing something else. I generally ski
          on frozen lakes which pack down to a faster surface so you might want
          a little more power in the deep stuff.

          Service.

        • fernmanus
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 22, 2003
            Last winter, I used Ozone foils almost exclusively. The Ozone has a
            great depower system that is similar to an LEI. It is an open cell
            kite so inflation is immediate. It flies great on a bar and is very
            stable.

            Kenny
            --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Kite Power (Sydney)"
            <sydney@k...> wrote:
            > Slingshot make great kitesurfing kites, but their land based foils
            are pretty ordinary compared to foil kites from more experienced
            manufacturers. Some of the best I have tried are from Flexifoil,
            Ozone and Peter Lynn.
            > All the SS foils are 2 line, you really want and need 4 line for
            best performance and safety on land/snow, or water.
            > Cya and
            > Goodwinds
            > Steve McCormack
            > www.kitepower.com.au

            Service.

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            unsubscribe@egroups.com
            subscribe@egroups.com

            Service.

            > This message was checked by NOD32 Antivirus System.
            > http://www.nod32.com

          • Kite Power (Sydney)
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 22, 2003
              Ozone Frenzys are awesome kites for land water and snow use, provided that on water you are prepared for a kite that wil most likley not re-launch.
              www.kitepower.com.au

              <sydney@k...> wrote:
              > Slingshot make great kitesurfing kites, but their land based foils
              are pretty ordinary compared to foil kites from more experienced
              manufacturers. Some of the best I have tried are from Flexifoil,
              Ozone and Peter Lynn.
              > All the SS foils are 2 line, you really want and need 4 line for
              best performance and safety on land/snow, or water.
              > Cya and
              > Goodwinds
              > Steve McCormack
              > www.kitepower.com.au