Fusion vs North Defender..

  • Sam Morgan
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2003
      I need a new board to hold down my 16m Rhino, my switch 180 is just
      too 'sketchy' when the gusts pick up. These things aren't cheap! So
      the ministry of finance tells me I can only have one board.
      I ride mainly in choppy water with wind blown swells and have never
      ridden a mutant. Im 95kg and I hit my arse on the top of swells and
      get picked up, and loose my edge occasionly. Is it possible to ride
      these mutants backwards "in the real world" or is that just more
      techno babble? Perhaps the smaller twin tip will hold the power
      anyway and end up being more fun.
      Can anyone tell me if these boards handle the same conditions equally
      well or do the bigger mutant fins make mananging speed easier?
      Cheers!
    • hink_trent
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2003
        A shorter twintip will make handling the board at speed much easier.
        You really never need a board longer than about 150cm, and that is
        for marginally light or really gusty wind.

        I think you would be better off with a twintip in the 120-135 cm
        range, with a relatively flat fast rocker and 38-41 cm wide. If you
        can you should try some of the new short fast twintip shapes, You'll
        be suprised at how easy they are to ride and how well they go in
        light wind. These short boards can handle a lot of power because
        putting your weight back on the tail will dig it in to slow you down
        a little as well as making the board turn upwind more easily.

        Look for low volume and thin rails for better handling in choppy
        conditions. A lower volume board is going to hold and go through the
        rough stuff when you have it on edge, instead of trying to bounce up
        and over everything.

        The only downside to the shorter shapes is that in gusty conditions
        you have to pay a little more attention to flattening the board out a
        bit and getting your weight more centered so you can coast through
        the lulls. Once you get that figured out they are a blast to ride
        because you can hold down so much power in the gusts.

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Sam Morgan" <nippleteam@y...>
        wrote:
        > I need a new board to hold down my 16m Rhino, my switch 180 is just
        > too 'sketchy' when the gusts pick up. These things aren't cheap! So
        > the ministry of finance tells me I can only have one board.
        > I ride mainly in choppy water with wind blown swells and have never
        > ridden a mutant. Im 95kg and I hit my arse on the top of swells and
        > get picked up, and loose my edge occasionly. Is it possible to ride
        > these mutants backwards "in the real world" or is that just more
        > techno babble? Perhaps the smaller twin tip will hold the power
        > anyway and end up being more fun.
        > Can anyone tell me if these boards handle the same conditions
        equally
        > well or do the bigger mutant fins make mananging speed easier?
        > Cheers!
      • Sam Morgan
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 9, 2003
          Wow,that makes sense. I try to stand on the tail of the 180, but i
          keep bouncing over the top of waves etc, and end up down wind really
          quickly. Short but wide is the go then? Have you any experience witha
          mutant or would the volume of the mutant end up putting me over the
          edge like my current board?
          I just feel like going from a 180 to a 130 would end up making me
          sink in the lulls and make getting going a hassle.
          Thanks, your a legend.
          -S

          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "hink_trent" <hink_trent@y...>