Re: More accident statistics

  • hungvuatnetcomdotca
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2003
      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Blair Brownyard <brown056@y...> wrote:
      > the key is "recorded" accidents. there is no requirement to report
      injuries. you can not make a statement that 54% of all kite surfing
      injuries are serious or fatal. any injury less than serious or fatal
      will never be recorded in the KSI. you can say that 54% of all
      recorded kite surfing injuries are serious or fatal.

      This is a fair statement and everything should be corrected to
      EXPLICITLY reflect that the statistics was only applied for the info
      recorded in the KSI database.

      Again, it's best to read the KSI itself and not relying on some
      statistics summary...

      Hung.
    • giovannafessenden
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 18, 2003
        Do you know what the accident statistics are for kite surfing on
        water versus snow?

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
        > Out of the 105 accidents recorded in the KSI so far:
        >
        > Light or no injury 34 or 32%
        > Serious or moderate injury 57 or 54%
        > Fatal 14 or 13%
        >
        > Unknown skill 27 or 26%
        > Beginner 19 or 18%
        > Experienced 59 or 56%
        >
        > Of the 57 serious accidents
        > Unknown skill 13 or 23%
        > Beginner 12 or 21%
        > Experienced 32 or 56%
        >
        > Of the 14 fatal accidents:
        > Unknown skill 3 or 21%
        > Beginner 4 or 29%
        > Experienced 7 or 50%
        >
        > P.S., As an experienced kiter, you are more likely to get serious
        and
        > fatal accidents, so experience MUST NOT be the excuse to be
        careless...

        > P.P.S., When you get an accident in kitesurfing, it's more likely
        to be
        > serious/fatal.
        >
        > P.P.P.S., "experienced" means "intermediate & expert" kiters who
        have at
        > least 1 year of experience or more.
        >
        > Hung.
      • hungvuatnetcomdotca
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 19, 2003
          Snow uses has more or less started getting popular recently in the
          last 2, 3 years (from 2001), so it's not quite fair compare the past
          statistics versus each other (maybe starting from 2004 it's become
          more fair). Also, I am not aware of anyone keeping an accident
          database for snow; maybe Rick knows.

          Hung.

          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "giovannafessenden"