Re: Kitesurfing accidents statistics & Kitesurfing golden rules

  • flkitesurfer
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2003
      Hello Lissette,

      The KSI and related resources have been provided for free, that is
      without cost for the global kiteboarding community covering
      accidents and incidents WORLDWIDE since it was created two years
      ago. If you examine the KSI the geographic area of coverage will
      become obvious.

      It is in the interest of rider safety to read over the actual
      accounts. The conclusions about avoiding the accident may vary and
      certainly will with time and new developments, still it is worth
      reading.

      I try to confirm accounts as much as feasible. I also make overseas
      phone calls to collect addition details particularly about the more
      severe accidents. Still, these accounts may never be fully confirmed
      but certainly represent plausible misfortune that might happen to
      anyone that puts themselves at risk, in many of the cases
      described. Unless of course they take pains to avoid the accident
      in the first place. This is the goal of the KSI, to spread hard won
      lessons about how to ride safer and enjoy all the fun and avoid the
      downside if possible.

      The KSI is located at:

      20SAFETY%20REFERENCES/

      FKA, Inc.

      transcribed by:
      Rick Iossi

      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Lissette Rojas" <lissette@v...>
      wrote:
      > I Found your e-mail very interesting But I have a question is that
      record
      > only for Florida? do you have the information in general around
      the world?
      > because I run the biggest Kitesurfing on-line club for Venezuela
      and I keep
      > them always inform of new things and I found very interesting this
      kind of
      > information in order to prevent accidents. visit www.venakite.com
      > Thanks!
      >

      > Lissette Rojas
      > Ven A Kite Club
      > +(58) (416) 803-25-06 (mobile)
      > +(58) (212) 753-25-52 (w/h)
      > http://www.venakite.com/

      Kitesurfing golden
      > rules
      >
      > Rick has been maintaining the excellent KSI kitesurfing incidents
      > database in the Files section of the kitesurf group for a few
      years now.

      > I have been recommending people to read them but not many did
      (probably
      > out of laziness and the format of the database is a bit lengthy).
      >
      > So I developed a table categorizing the accidents into different
      > categories and at the same time trying to obtain the statistics of
      the
      > accidents. The whole table will be posted in the Safety section
      of the
      > http://www.kitesurfingschool.org web site soon. For now, here are
      some
      > hightlights for the most common types of accidents:
      >
      > - Out of the total 105 accidents recorded so far, 9 are in 2000,
      16 in
      > 2001, 59 in 2002 and 21 in 2003 (sometimes, there are more than
      one
      > accidents per account in the KSI)
      > - Out of the 105 accidents recorded so far 58 or 55% of them are
      related
      > to being lofted or dragged into hard objects (majority in stormy
      or
      > gusty weather)
      > - Out of the 58 lofted or dragged accidents, 26 (45%) of them
      related to
      > being hooked in on land, 19 (33%) of them related to being hooked
      in
      > near shore and 13 (22%) of them generic (hooking in state unknown
      or not
      > very relevant)
      > - Out of the 105 accidents recorded so far, 9% are related to
      board leash
      > - 6% are related to lines get tangled with body, hands, neck, etc.
      > - 6% are related to "no kite leash & run away kites"
      >
      > The rest are all less than 4% of the total accidents.
      >
      > P.S., I may make some small mistake (a few percentage points) in
      > reading/understanding the whole database and categorizing it.
      >
      > P.P.S., So if we follow the following 5 golden rules, kitesurfing
      > accidents will be reduced more than 75%:
      > 1- Don't kite in stormy, gusty conditions
      > 2- Don't hook in on land or near shore
      > 3- Don't use board leash
      > 4- Always use kite leash
      > 5- Always carry a knife to cut tangled lines
      >
      > P.P.P.S., That said, I still use board leash in some conditions
      (such as
      > in very cold water) as the alternative is even more dangerous.
      >
      > Hung.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      unsubscribe@egroups.com
      subscribe@egroups.com