Re: Kitesurfing accidents statistics & Kitesurfing golden rules

  • hungvuatnetcomdotca
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2003
      I think Rick got the reports from world wide; however, he is the best
      person to answer this.

      P.S., It's best if you read the KSI and not rely on just the
      statistics ;-)

      Hung.

      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Lissette Rojas" <lissette@v...>
      wrote:
      > I Found your e-mail very interesting But I have a question is that
      record
      > only for Florida? do you have the information in general around the
      world?
      > because I run the biggest Kitesurfing on-line club for Venezuela and
      I keep
      > them always inform of new things and I found very interesting this
      kind of
      > information in order to prevent accidents. visit www.venakite.com
      > Thanks!
      >

      > Lissette Rojas
      > Ven A Kite Club
      > +(58) (416) 803-25-06 (mobile)
      > +(58) (212) 753-25-52 (w/h)
      > http://www.venakite.com/

      Kitesurfing golden
      > rules
      >
      > Rick has been maintaining the excellent KSI kitesurfing incidents
      > database in the Files section of the kitesurf group for a few years now.
      >
      > I have been recommending people to read them but not many did (probably
      > out of laziness and the format of the database is a bit lengthy).
      >
      > So I developed a table categorizing the accidents into different
      > categories and at the same time trying to obtain the statistics of the
      > accidents. The whole table will be posted in the Safety section of
      the
      > http://www.kitesurfingschool.org web site soon. For now, here are some
      > hightlights for the most common types of accidents:
      >
      > - Out of the total 105 accidents recorded so far, 9 are in 2000, 16 in
      > 2001, 59 in 2002 and 21 in 2003 (sometimes, there are more than one
      > accidents per account in the KSI)
      > - Out of the 105 accidents recorded so far 58 or 55% of them are
      related
      > to being lofted or dragged into hard objects (majority in stormy or
      > gusty weather)
      > - Out of the 58 lofted or dragged accidents, 26 (45%) of them
      related to
      > being hooked in on land, 19 (33%) of them related to being hooked in
      > near shore and 13 (22%) of them generic (hooking in state unknown or
      not
      > very relevant)
      > - Out of the 105 accidents recorded so far, 9% are related to board
      leash
      > - 6% are related to lines get tangled with body, hands, neck, etc.
      > - 6% are related to "no kite leash & run away kites"
      >
      > The rest are all less than 4% of the total accidents.
      >
      > P.S., I may make some small mistake (a few percentage points) in
      > reading/understanding the whole database and categorizing it.
      >
      > P.P.S., So if we follow the following 5 golden rules, kitesurfing
      > accidents will be reduced more than 75%:
      > 1- Don't kite in stormy, gusty conditions
      > 2- Don't hook in on land or near shore
      > 3- Don't use board leash
      > 4- Always use kite leash
      > 5- Always carry a knife to cut tangled lines
      >
      > P.P.P.S., That said, I still use board leash in some conditions
      (such as
      > in very cold water) as the alternative is even more dangerous.
      >
      > Hung.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com

    • flkitesurfer
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2003
        Hello Lissette,

        The KSI and related resources have been provided for free, that is
        without cost for the global kiteboarding community covering
        accidents and incidents WORLDWIDE since it was created two years
        ago. If you examine the KSI the geographic area of coverage will
        become obvious.

        It is in the interest of rider safety to read over the actual
        accounts. The conclusions about avoiding the accident may vary and
        certainly will with time and new developments, still it is worth
        reading.

        I try to confirm accounts as much as feasible. I also make overseas
        phone calls to collect addition details particularly about the more
        severe accidents. Still, these accounts may never be fully confirmed
        but certainly represent plausible misfortune that might happen to
        anyone that puts themselves at risk, in many of the cases
        described. Unless of course they take pains to avoid the accident
        in the first place. This is the goal of the KSI, to spread hard won
        lessons about how to ride safer and enjoy all the fun and avoid the
        downside if possible.

        The KSI is located at:

        20SAFETY%20REFERENCES/

        FKA, Inc.

        transcribed by:
        Rick Iossi

        wrote:
        > I Found your e-mail very interesting But I have a question is that
        record
        > only for Florida? do you have the information in general around
        the world?
        > because I run the biggest Kitesurfing on-line club for Venezuela
        and I keep
        > them always inform of new things and I found very interesting this
        kind of
        > information in order to prevent accidents. visit www.venakite.com
        > Thanks!
        >

        > Lissette Rojas