More accident statistics

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 5, 2003
      Out of the 105 accidents recorded in the KSI so far:

      Light or no injury 34 or 32%
      Serious or moderate injury 57 or 54%
      Fatal 14 or 13%

      Unknown skill 27 or 26%
      Beginner 19 or 18%
      Experienced 59 or 56%

      Of the 57 serious accidents
      Unknown skill 13 or 23%
      Beginner 12 or 21%
      Experienced 32 or 56%

      Of the 14 fatal accidents:
      Unknown skill 3 or 21%
      Beginner 4 or 29%
      Experienced 7 or 50%

      P.S., As an experienced kiter, you are more likely to get serious and
      fatal accidents, so experience MUST NOT be the excuse to be careless...

      P.P.S., When you get an accident in kitesurfing, it's more likely to be
      serious/fatal.

      P.P.P.S., "experienced" means "intermediate & expert" kiters who have at
      least 1 year of experience or more.

      Hung.
    • Blair Brownyard
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2003
        the key is "recorded" accidents. there is no requirement to report injuries. you can not make a statement that 54% of all kite surfing injuries are serious or fatal. any injury less than serious or fatal will never be recorded in the KSI. you can say that 54% of all recorded kite surfing injuries are serious or fatal.
        Blair Brownyard

        Hung Vu <hungvu2000@...> wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • flkitesurfer
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 2003
          Hello Hung,

          Thanks for making such a close study and analysis of the KSI. I
          agree with some of your study conclusions based upon general
          impressions formed during the collection and analysis of data.

          Particularly, skill is not necessarily a deterent to having a
          serious accident. This observation is driven by the fact that
          physics effect us all regardless of skill and carelessness can
          sometimes come with experience in many types of
          activities. "Intermediate Syndrome Strikes!"

          For a while there was a bias towards more experienced riders having
          the more severe accidents, including fatal ones. This trend has
          spread more to include lesser experienced kiteboarders in the last
          year or so.

          I have long been impressed with how few fatal accidents we have in
          kiteboarding. This sport like other events in life, is governed by
          probability theory. Still as a group, we are normally SO LUCKY! So
          many accidents could easily be fatal but frequently are not. So in
          fact, I feel that most accidents will NOT be fatal but any serious
          go to could easily be a mortal one however given the tremendous
          forces and trauma potentially involded. This getting off lighter
          than than otherwise has generated supported a widespread attitude of
          indifference to fundamental safety and common sense. Things like
          you don't need kite leashes, it is ok to jump upwind and close to
          bathers, it is ok to go out in squalls, etc. etc. I am sensing
          reforms in this area however with more riders taking commonsense
          steps to protect "number one" and by extension bystanders in the
          last year or so. This is an EXCELLENT trend and a necessary one for
          the sustainability of this sport. The industry and media seem to be
          supporting this trend as well. Well done and thanks.

          Unfortunately, when I created the Kitesurfing Accident Database over
          2 years ago and its successor, the KSI. I never intended for these
          resources to be used as a statistical basis for actual accidents.
          Why? Not all accidents that I hear fragmentary information about
          end up there. Obviously, I don't hear about all accidents either.
          Not all of the accounts are fully confirmed or likely ever will be
          either. Two statistical studies on kiteboarding accidents have been
          performed in Germany unfortunately, the results have yet to be
          published to my knowledge.

          The primary intent of the KSI is to supply food for thought and
          object lessons/ideas on how to try to avoid misfortune while
          kiteboarding. I saw that people were repeatedly being injured by
          similar causes and the information about what went wrong and how to
          avoid it WASN'T GETTING OUT. It still isn't to some degree, but
          articles in the print media talking about the KSI should appear in
          various publications around the world in the next few months.

          So, thanks for looking into the summary of part of our experience in
          kiteboarding. It would be good to at least look over the hard won
          lessons of kiteboarding accident victims and to try to avoid going
          there ourselves. They paid the price, the lessons are there to be
          reviewed and considered. Learn from the past or not, the choice is
          ours.

          The KSI is located at:

          20SAFETY%20REFERENCES/

          FKA, Inc.

          transcribed by:
          Rick Iossi
          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
          > Out of the 105 accidents recorded in the KSI so far:
          >
          > Light or no injury 34 or 32%
          > Serious or moderate injury 57 or 54%
          > Fatal 14 or 13%
          >
          > Unknown skill 27 or 26%
          > Beginner 19 or 18%
          > Experienced 59 or 56%
          >
          > Of the 57 serious accidents
          > Unknown skill 13 or 23%
          > Beginner 12 or 21%
          > Experienced 32 or 56%
          >
          > Of the 14 fatal accidents:
          > Unknown skill 3 or 21%
          > Beginner 4 or 29%
          > Experienced 7 or 50%
          >
          > P.S., As an experienced kiter, you are more likely to get serious
          and
          > fatal accidents, so experience MUST NOT be the excuse to be
          careless...

          > P.P.S., When you get an accident in kitesurfing, it's more likely
          to be
          > serious/fatal.
          >
          > P.P.P.S., "experienced" means "intermediate & expert" kiters who
          have at
          > least 1 year of experience or more.
          >
          > Hung.
        • hungvuatnetcomdotca
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 2003
            --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Blair Brownyard <brown056@y...> wrote:
            > the key is "recorded" accidents. there is no requirement to report
            injuries. you can not make a statement that 54% of all kite surfing
            injuries are serious or fatal. any injury less than serious or fatal
            will never be recorded in the KSI. you can say that 54% of all
            recorded kite surfing injuries are serious or fatal.

            This is a fair statement and everything should be corrected to
            EXPLICITLY reflect that the statistics was only applied for the info
            recorded in the KSI database.

            Again, it's best to read the KSI itself and not relying on some
            statistics summary...

            Hung.
          • giovannafessenden
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 18, 2003
              Do you know what the accident statistics are for kite surfing on
              water versus snow?

              --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
              > Out of the 105 accidents recorded in the KSI so far:
              >
              > Light or no injury 34 or 32%
              > Serious or moderate injury 57 or 54%
              > Fatal 14 or 13%
              >
              > Unknown skill 27 or 26%
              > Beginner 19 or 18%
              > Experienced 59 or 56%
              >
              > Of the 57 serious accidents
              > Unknown skill 13 or 23%
              > Beginner 12 or 21%
              > Experienced 32 or 56%
              >
              > Of the 14 fatal accidents:
              > Unknown skill 3 or 21%
              > Beginner 4 or 29%
              > Experienced 7 or 50%
              >
              > P.S., As an experienced kiter, you are more likely to get serious
              and
              > fatal accidents, so experience MUST NOT be the excuse to be
              careless...

              > P.P.S., When you get an accident in kitesurfing, it's more likely
              to be
              > serious/fatal.
              >
              > P.P.P.S., "experienced" means "intermediate & expert" kiters who
              have at
              > least 1 year of experience or more.
              >
              > Hung.
            • hungvuatnetcomdotca
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 19, 2003
                Snow uses has more or less started getting popular recently in the
                last 2, 3 years (from 2001), so it's not quite fair compare the past
                statistics versus each other (maybe starting from 2004 it's become
                more fair). Also, I am not aware of anyone keeping an accident
                database for snow; maybe Rick knows.

                Hung.

                --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "giovannafessenden"