Re: Are we heading for troubles?

  • windrider1212
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
      Hung,

      I totally agree with you. The sport is driven by the manufacturers
      and they are all trying to top each other with the next best board
      and kite every month.

      Sometimes competition can be good, but it can also be bad when it
      controls a sport like kiteboarding. Everyone wants to copy the
      leader
      and in this sport the leaders keep trying to jump higher.

      I think the average kiter can have fun and still be safe using a
      smaller kite and a bigger board. This will give you a larger margin
      for error if the wind suddenly increases.

      I kite on inland lakes in Texas where the wind isn't steady and I can
      have a blast on a F-One 230 and 11m Wipika FreeAir.

      Since the manufacturers have gone about as far as they can on making
      the smallest board and biggest kite. I wouldn't be surprised if the
      next trend isn't trying to ride a smaller kite and a bigger board,
      they can call it "old school kiteboarding."

      You can buy a directional board pretty darn cheap right now!

      Keith

      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
      > There are more and more kitesurfing accidents happening everyday.
      >
      > Most accidents are definitely related to the power of the kite.
      >
      > Yet, I notice that in the quest to reach higher altitude, I have
      been
      > riding kites at least 1 size larger than in the past (I started
      using
      > the 16 in wind where I used the 12 in the past or using the 12 in
      wind
      > for the 9).
      >
      > In the last few years, I have been the advocate for bigger kites in
      > light wind but only recently, I started to realize that many (like
      me)
      > are not using bigger kites only for light wind but also for higher
      altitude.

      > To make kitesurfing safer, I can ride the the FONE 230 all the
      times
      and
      > use a kite one to two size smaller. Do I want to do that? Maybe
      only
      > in light wind.
      >
      > We all want to jump higher but to do that we need to ride in really
      > powered up conditions (very small board and max kite size for the
      > condition) and that leaves NO ROOM for gust.
      >
      > What we are dealing with is competive side of human nature and it's
      very
      > very hard to change that...
      >
      > Fortunately, we also have the cautious side of human nature and
      > hopefully the cautious side can save us all...
      >
      > Hung.
    • Ian Horne
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
        Keith,

        Where abouts in Texas do you live? I am down in Houston and I am
        looking for a few lakes up north to ride. I have sorta checked out
        lake Conroe, and I am also looking to the lake in Point Blank.. are
        you familure with those? I am just looking for somewhere other than
        the texas city levy to ride... get back to me please, either through
        this forum, or via an email Ichorne@... Thanks man.

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "windrider1212" <kmeder@c...>
        wrote:

        >... I kite on inland lakes in Texas....
        >
        > Keith
      • windrider1212
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
          Ian,

          I'm in McKinney, Texas and mainly sail on Lake Lavon which is about 25
          minutes from my house.

          I am not familiar with any the lakes between here and Houston. Most
          of the lakes in East and Southeast Texas are better for fishing, not
          kiteboarding.

          You would have better luck getting some good wind in Corpus. It's a
          little far to go for a day, but would be a great weekend trip.

          Keith
        • hungvuatnetcomdotca
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
            --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "windrider1212" <kmeder@c...> wrote:
            > Since the manufacturers have gone about as far as they can on making
            > the smallest board and biggest kite. I wouldn't be surprised if the
            > next trend isn't trying to ride a smaller kite and a bigger board,
            > they can call it "old school kiteboarding."

            Interesting thought.

            Big boards will definitely be trendy in light wind but I am not sure
            that they will be trendy in moderate to strong wind.

            Unless we have enough serious accidents to scare enough people...

            Hung.
          • George Sarris
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
              If the kitesurfing technology follows what has
              happened in windsurfing we will see both bigger boards
              and bigger kites that have enormous wind range and
              prices to match.

              Jake
              "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a
              frontal lobotomy".

              http://shopping.yahoo.com