Are we heading for troubles?

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30 2:47 PM
      There are more and more kitesurfing accidents happening everyday.

      Most accidents are definitely related to the power of the kite.

      Yet, I notice that in the quest to reach higher altitude, I have been
      riding kites at least 1 size larger than in the past (I started using
      the 16 in wind where I used the 12 in the past or using the 12 in wind
      for the 9).

      In the last few years, I have been the advocate for bigger kites in
      light wind but only recently, I started to realize that many (like me)
      are not using bigger kites only for light wind but also for higher altitude.

      To make kitesurfing safer, I can ride the the FONE 230 all the times and
      use a kite one to two size smaller. Do I want to do that? Maybe only
      in light wind.

      We all want to jump higher but to do that we need to ride in really
      powered up conditions (very small board and max kite size for the
      condition) and that leaves NO ROOM for gust.

      What we are dealing with is competive side of human nature and it's very
      very hard to change that...

      Fortunately, we also have the cautious side of human nature and
      hopefully the cautious side can save us all...

      Hung.
    • windrider1212
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
        Hung,

        I totally agree with you. The sport is driven by the manufacturers
        and they are all trying to top each other with the next best board
        and kite every month.

        Sometimes competition can be good, but it can also be bad when it
        controls a sport like kiteboarding. Everyone wants to copy the
        leader
        and in this sport the leaders keep trying to jump higher.

        I think the average kiter can have fun and still be safe using a
        smaller kite and a bigger board. This will give you a larger margin
        for error if the wind suddenly increases.

        I kite on inland lakes in Texas where the wind isn't steady and I can
        have a blast on a F-One 230 and 11m Wipika FreeAir.

        Since the manufacturers have gone about as far as they can on making
        the smallest board and biggest kite. I wouldn't be surprised if the
        next trend isn't trying to ride a smaller kite and a bigger board,
        they can call it "old school kiteboarding."

        You can buy a directional board pretty darn cheap right now!

        Keith

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
        > There are more and more kitesurfing accidents happening everyday.
        >
        > Most accidents are definitely related to the power of the kite.
        >
        > Yet, I notice that in the quest to reach higher altitude, I have
        been
        > riding kites at least 1 size larger than in the past (I started
        using
        > the 16 in wind where I used the 12 in the past or using the 12 in
        wind
        > for the 9).
        >
        > In the last few years, I have been the advocate for bigger kites in
        > light wind but only recently, I started to realize that many (like
        me)
        > are not using bigger kites only for light wind but also for higher
        altitude.

        > To make kitesurfing safer, I can ride the the FONE 230 all the
        times
        and
        > use a kite one to two size smaller. Do I want to do that? Maybe
        only
        > in light wind.
        >
        > We all want to jump higher but to do that we need to ride in really
        > powered up conditions (very small board and max kite size for the
        > condition) and that leaves NO ROOM for gust.
        >
        > What we are dealing with is competive side of human nature and it's
        very
        > very hard to change that...
        >
        > Fortunately, we also have the cautious side of human nature and
        > hopefully the cautious side can save us all...
        >
        > Hung.
      • Ian Horne
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
          Keith,

          Where abouts in Texas do you live? I am down in Houston and I am
          looking for a few lakes up north to ride. I have sorta checked out
          lake Conroe, and I am also looking to the lake in Point Blank.. are
          you familure with those? I am just looking for somewhere other than
          the texas city levy to ride... get back to me please, either through
          this forum, or via an email Ichorne@... Thanks man.

          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "windrider1212" <kmeder@c...>
          wrote:

          >... I kite on inland lakes in Texas....
          >
          > Keith
        • windrider1212
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
            Ian,

            I'm in McKinney, Texas and mainly sail on Lake Lavon which is about 25
            minutes from my house.

            I am not familiar with any the lakes between here and Houston. Most
            of the lakes in East and Southeast Texas are better for fishing, not
            kiteboarding.

            You would have better luck getting some good wind in Corpus. It's a
            little far to go for a day, but would be a great weekend trip.

            Keith
          • hungvuatnetcomdotca
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
              --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "windrider1212" <kmeder@c...> wrote:
              > Since the manufacturers have gone about as far as they can on making
              > the smallest board and biggest kite. I wouldn't be surprised if the
              > next trend isn't trying to ride a smaller kite and a bigger board,
              > they can call it "old school kiteboarding."

              Interesting thought.

              Big boards will definitely be trendy in light wind but I am not sure
              that they will be trendy in moderate to strong wind.

              Unless we have enough serious accidents to scare enough people...

              Hung.
            • George Sarris
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
                If the kitesurfing technology follows what has
                happened in windsurfing we will see both bigger boards
                and bigger kites that have enormous wind range and
                prices to match.

                Jake
                "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a
                frontal lobotomy".

                http://shopping.yahoo.com