Re: queries about kiteboarding

  • jaytee705
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 19, 2003
      Thanks Steve.

      Will look out for Boost2 among other suggestions.

      I'm currently in Singapore. The bad news is that the winds tend to be
      below 10 knots here. The semi-good news is that Indo is nearby and
      has better winds during monsoon season. Home is San Francisco, but I
      don't know when I'm getting back.

      The plan is to spend a lot of time flying the trainer (a foil), then
      hopefully schedule a week or two at some kiteboarding hotspot to try
      to learn the basics.

      A mate of mine flies big radio-controlled gliders, so he's found a
      place with light, steady winds and a huge expanse of flat,packed
      sand. In fact, he's sort of keen to get a bigger kite and get dragged
      around the sand on a mountainboard or something. First step at a
      time, though.

      JT

      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Kite Power (Sydney)"
      <sydney@k...> wrote:
      > G'day JT
      > Where in the world do you hang out?
      > The best video/DVD is Boost 2, there are a number of websites that
      can help, have you checked the links section on my website?
      > Is the Gaastra trainer a foil or inflatable?
      > How much do you weigh? What are the typical winds in your area?
      >
      > If you have flown a stunt kite, a lot, then you will already have a
      lot of the basic skills. You need to fly the trainer so that you can
      fly it at the edge, lower than 11, or 1 o'clock without looking at
      it, not zooming it around just holding it there, imitating what you
      need to be able to do to get a board on.
      > You also need to thoroughly know the wind window, so that you know
      where the kite is by feel, and be able to do down turns at the edge
      of the wind window.
      > Hope that helps get back to me.
      >
      > Cya and Goodwinds, Steve McCormack
      >
      > Kitepower Australia
      > t: +61 2 9529 6894
      > m: 0419 508 565
      > w: www.kitepower.com.au
      >
      > 302 The Grand Pde,
      > Sans Souci, NSW 2219

      subscribe@egroups.com

      Service.

      > This message was checked by NOD32 Antivirus System.
      > http://www.nod32.com

    • Kite Power (Sydney)
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 19, 2003
        Avoid strong monsoonal winds, anything over 20-25 knots while learning, especially self learning just increases the risks dramatically, we stop teaching in our school at around 25-30 knots, and even then we take special precautions, like using much shorter lines.
        There is a good IKO teacher on Bali, his name is Jankie, I can get you his details?
        I do sell landboards, and the foil kite that are best for that purpose.