[ksurfschool] Re: Kite size for featherweight (56 kg)

  • Martyn_Gilson-1@sbphrd.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2000
      Christophe's advice is very wise.

      My friend Jon, who is about the same weight as you was using a 6.5 Wipika on the
      beach in about a 8-15 knots of wind. He had difficulty just standing with it
      and was almost running down wind, especially in the gusts. I realise that this
      will not be as exaggerated when in the water but being so light requires a
      smaller sail and hence is getting a 5m Naish.

      You really don't want your kite to be caught in powerlines. There is little
      danger of being fried but your kite will be unretrievable and there it will flap
      for eternity as a reminder to the public how dangerous kite surfing is. This we
      don't want.

      My general rule is if you can see powerlines down wind when flying your kite,
      don't fly it.

      I have only just started this sport and it is the first safety rule.

      Being light is a great advantage in many watersports, especially kite surfing.
      I think I'll have to get down the gym.....

      demaz@... on 25-Jan-2000 17:54

      Please respond to ksurfschool@egroups.com

      To: ksurfschool
      cc: (bcc: Martyn Gilson-1/DEV/PHRD/SB_PLC)
      Subject: [ksurfschool] Re: Kite size for featherweight (56 kg)