[Fwd: kiteboarding on north shore Maui to be halted possibly]

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 16, 2003
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: kiteboarding on north shore Maui to be halted possibly
      Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:17:16 -0800
      From: Martin Kirk/Kiteboarding School of Maui <martin@...>
      To: martin kirk <martin@...>

      This message is being blind copied to members of the Hawaii Kiteboarding
      Association, broadcast and print media contacts, and other interested
      individuals. If you are an attorney and wish to assist and are looking
      for a meaningful pro bono project, please contact HKA.
      We are determined to address this possible action with all of our
      intellectual resources and as this announcement comes on the anniversary
      of Rick Lof's birthday, our friend from Canada for whom we have
      dedicated the kite beach park. please do your part and help us put up a
      worthy defense by becoming an HKA member, rejoining HKA, writing an
      article on this situation, or donating your legal services to help
      resolve this situation.
      The Red Bull/King of the Air event will take place as scheduled from
      October 5-11.
      Best regards,
      Martin Kirk
      HKA Maui President
      PO BOX 790685
      Paia, Hawaii 96779
      808.280.0015
      martin@...
      <mailto:martin@...>

      In March 2002, after 2 ½ years of discussions and negotiations, Federal
      Aviation Administration (FAA) officials granted Hawaii Kiteboarding
      Association (HKA) members a waiver to the 40 year-old regulations
      restricting kite flying within 5 miles of an airport and kites weighing
      over 5 pounds. The FAA waiver stipulates no kiteboarding at the end of
      runway #2 in Spreckelsville. Otherwise, there are few restrictions
      within this 5-mile airport zone as to where we can practice. We have
      voluntarily created a safety buffer zone between the different ocean
      users by primarily staying downwind of windsurfing and canoe paddling.
      The sport continues to grow here and worldwide, and Mauians stand to
      benefit from the increased numbers showing up to play with kites in our
      warm waters and steady winds.

      Since having obtained the FAA waiver, HKA has maintained the waiver and
      works closely with FAA and Air Traffic Control Tower (ATCT) at Kahului
      International Airport to enforce the waiver stipulations and thereby
      stay in good standing with these agencies. This waiver allows us to
      kiteboard on the north shore of Maui and must be renewed every two
      years. Both FAA and ATCT acknowledge the successful efforts by HKA to
      maintain the waiver during the past 18 months; nonetheless, these
      agencies have indicated they plan to rescind the waiver in about 30 days.

      Almost 4 years to the day, when FAA enforced its regulations and halted
      all kiteboarding along Maui’s north shore in September 1999, we are now
      faced with FAA rescinding the waiver HKA worked so very hard to obtain
      and even harder to maintain. We are in negotiations with Maui County,
      FAA, and ATCT to see what can be done to keep the waiver so that
      recreational kiteboarding will not be affected.

      Please support our efforts and rejoin HKA Maui and tell your friends

      who are not members to financially support our efforts to keep the sport
      on Maui.

      Also, please help us enforce the “NO KITEBOARDING” ZONE at the end of
      the runway in Spreckelsville & NO KITEBOARDING AFTER SUNSET anywhere on
      the North Shore of Maui.

      Please help HKA help you keep this sport alive and well on Maui.
    • Cal Bode
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 16, 2003
        I am 6' 170 and want a kite to learn with and use it for snowboarding on lakes in the winter for now until the summer when I buy an inflatable kite... any recommendations for kite sizes and corresponding wind speeds?

        Are foils the way to go?

        Thanks guys,

        CAL

      • hink_trent
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 17, 2003
          If you rig an inflatable with a fifth line or get a one of the
          cabrihna recon kites it will work fine in the winter, it's just
          harder to set up in the cold and you are more likely to dammage the
          kite than with a foil (broken bladders from crashing).

          Personally, I like foils on the snow and water.

          As far as kite size goes, for learning in 10-15mph and 10-20mph for a
          more advanced rider, you could go with one of the following:

          12 meter 4-line inflatable
          7.5 meter 2-line foil
          9.5 flysurfer or Ozone sheetable foil

          Those kites will work for you on wind packed snow with a snowboard,
          which is usually what you will find on a frozen lake. In deep fresh
          or sticky snow you might want a little more wind or a bigger kite.
          Waxing your board will make a big difference. For bare ice you need
          something much smaller and a pair of skis.

          Practice many hours with a trainer kite to start, and take your big
          kite out in 10mph or less the first time you try to fly it. A trainer
          kite around 3m would also work well with ice skates in light wind,
          but you get the death wobbles easily if you go fast on skates,
          especially on natural ice. It's good practice though, because the
          kite flies a little differently when you are moving across the wind
          rather than standing still.

          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Cal Bode <caljbode@y...> wrote:

          > I am 6' 170 and want a kite to learn with and use it for
          snowboarding on lakes in the winter for now until the summer when I
          buy an inflatable kite... any recommendations for kite sizes and
          corresponding wind speeds?

          > Are foils the way to go?
          >

          > Thanks guys,
          >
          > CAL

        • Cal Bode
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 7, 2003
            I am thinking about getting into snowkiting. Does anyone have recommendations about:
            -kite foil sizes?
            -brands that are decent?
            -wind speed correlation for sizes?

            I am 6' 170 and would like to use in untracked snow.

            Does anyone have experience with the Slingshot B series kites? What is a good size for untracked snow and specific wind conditions?

            Also any other advice you can give me would be awesome.

            Thanks,

            Cal

            hink_trent <hink_trent@...> wrote:
            If you rig an inflatable with a fifth line or get a one of the
            cabrihna recon kites it will work fine in the winter, it's just
            harder to set up in the cold and you are more likely to dammage the
            kite than with a foil (broken bladders from crashing).

            Personally, I like foils on the snow and water.

            As far as kite size goes, for learning in 10-15mph and 10-20mph for a
            more advanced rider, you could go with one of the following:

            12 meter 4-line inflatable
            7.5 meter 2-line foil
            9.5 flysurfer or Ozone sheetable foil

            Those kites will work for you on wind packed snow with a snowboard,
            which is usually what you will find on a frozen lake. In deep fresh
            or sticky snow you might want a little more wind or a bigger kite.
            Waxing your board will make a big difference. For bare ice you need
            something much smaller and a pair of skis.

            Practice many hours with a trainer kite to start, and take your big
            kite out in 10mph or less the first time you try to fly it. A trainer
            kite around 3m would also work well with ice skates in light wind,
            but you get the death wobbles easily if you go fast on skates,
            especially on natural ice. It's good practice though, because the
            kite flies a little differently when you are moving across the wind
            rather than standing still.

            --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Cal Bode <caljbode@y...> wrote:

            > I am 6' 170 and want a kite to learn with and use it for
            snowboarding on lakes in the winter for now until the summer when I
            buy an inflatable kite... any recommendations for kite sizes and
            corresponding wind speeds?

            > Are foils the way to go?
            >

            > Thanks guys,
            >
            > CAL

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • p
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 7, 2003
              If you are looking for a kite just for snow then consider bridled foils which are, in my opinion, the most efficient kites available. The Libra Bora is a personal favourite traction kite- super stable and pulls like a train. Flexifoil blades are a proven kite that have been used on water.

              If you are looking for dual purpose foils then I would seriously consider the peter lynn gARC (unbridled foil) great for jumping and super stable. The flysurfer titan is also worth considering although its not everyones cup of tea.

              Just bear in mind that land traction kiting is a much older and larger sport, although I'm sure the slingshot is a great kite (I've never flown one) just be aware that there is a world of kite manufacturers out there with some super kites that you may not have heard of. You dont necessarily have to buy from a manufacturer that produces both kitesurfing and land traction kites. I will admit that traction kiting is not as big here in the US as it is in Europe and some brands are a little harder to come by.

              Do you want to stick with bars or move over to handles? I could be wrong here but if you want a high performance bridled foil you may have to use handles - the control system that foils seem to be better suited too.

              hink_trent <hink_trent@...> wrote:
              If you rig an inflatable with a fifth line or get a one of the
              cabrihna recon kites it will work fine in the winter, it's just
              harder to set up in the cold and you are more likely to dammage the
              kite than with a foil (broken bladders from crashing).

              Personally, I like foils on the snow and water.

              As far as kite size goes, for learning in 10-15mph and 10-20mph for a
              more advanced rider, you could go with one of the following:

              12 meter 4-line inflatable
              7.5 meter 2-line foil
              9.5 flysurfer or Ozone sheetable foil

              Those kites will work for you on wind packed snow with a snowboard,
              which is usually what you will find on a frozen lake. In deep fresh
              or sticky snow you might want a little more wind or a bigger kite.
              Waxing your board will make a big difference. For bare ice you need
              something much smaller and a pair of skis.

              Practice many hours with a trainer kite to start, and take your big
              kite out in 10mph or less the first time you try to fly it. A trainer
              kite around 3m would also work well with ice skates in light wind,
              but you get the death wobbles easily if you go fast on skates,
              especially on natural ice. It's good practice though, because the
              kite flies a little differently when you are moving across the wind
              rather than standing still.

              --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Cal Bode <caljbode@y...> wrote:

              > I am 6' 170 and want a kite to learn with and use it for
              snowboarding on lakes in the winter for now until the summer when I
              buy an inflatable kite... any recommendations for kite sizes and
              corresponding wind speeds?

              > Are foils the way to go?
              >

              > Thanks guys,
              >
              > CAL

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • Kite Power (Sydney)
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 7, 2003
                Slingshot make great kitesurfing kites, but their land based foils are pretty ordinary compared to foil kites from more experienced manufacturers. Some of the best I have tried are from Flexifoil, Ozone and Peter Lynn.
                All the SS foils are 2 line, you really want and need 4 line for best performance and safety on land/snow, or water.
                www.kitepower.com.au

                hink_trent <hink_trent@...> wrote:
                If you rig an inflatable with a fifth line or get a one of the
                cabrihna recon kites it will work fine in the winter, it's just
                harder to set up in the cold and you are more likely to dammage the
                kite than with a foil (broken bladders from crashing).

                Personally, I like foils on the snow and water.

                As far as kite size goes, for learning in 10-15mph and 10-20mph for a
                more advanced rider, you could go with one of the following:

                12 meter 4-line inflatable
                7.5 meter 2-line foil
                9.5 flysurfer or Ozone sheetable foil

                Those kites will work for you on wind packed snow with a snowboard,
                which is usually what you will find on a frozen lake. In deep fresh
                or sticky snow you might want a little more wind or a bigger kite.
                Waxing your board will make a big difference. For bare ice you need
                something much smaller and a pair of skis.

                Practice many hours with a trainer kite to start, and take your big
                kite out in 10mph or less the first time you try to fly it. A trainer
                kite around 3m would also work well with ice skates in light wind,
                but you get the death wobbles easily if you go fast on skates,
                especially on natural ice. It's good practice though, because the
                kite flies a little differently when you are moving across the wind
                rather than standing still.

                --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Cal Bode <caljbode@y...> wrote:

                > I am 6' 170 and want a kite to learn with and use it for
                snowboarding on lakes in the winter for now until the summer when I
                buy an inflatable kite... any recommendations for kite sizes and
                corresponding wind speeds?

                > Are foils the way to go?
                >

                > Thanks guys,
                >
                > CAL

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                This message was checked by NOD32 Antivirus System.
                http://www.nod32.com

              • pksebago
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 8, 2003
                  The Peter Lynn C-Quads are great on snow. I use them with handles
                  and a backstrap. Great performance and very powerful. Easy
                  relaunch, easy to kill power since they lay flat on the surface,might
                  require a little more in the way of kite flying skills, but well
                  worth it. I also think they are less expensive than some of the
                  other options. I'm 200 lb and ski with a 4.2 and 2.2. There are
                  some very light wind days when a 6.3 would be useful but if the wind
                  is that light, I'm better off doing something else. I generally ski
                  on frozen lakes which pack down to a faster surface so you might want
                  a little more power in the deep stuff.

                  Service.

                • fernmanus
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 22, 2003
                    Last winter, I used Ozone foils almost exclusively. The Ozone has a
                    great depower system that is similar to an LEI. It is an open cell
                    kite so inflation is immediate. It flies great on a bar and is very
                    stable.

                    Kenny
                    --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Kite Power (Sydney)"
                    <sydney@k...> wrote:
                    > Slingshot make great kitesurfing kites, but their land based foils
                    are pretty ordinary compared to foil kites from more experienced
                    manufacturers. Some of the best I have tried are from Flexifoil,
                    Ozone and Peter Lynn.
                    > All the SS foils are 2 line, you really want and need 4 line for
                    best performance and safety on land/snow, or water.
                    > Cya and
                    > Goodwinds
                    > Steve McCormack
                    > www.kitepower.com.au

                    Service.

                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    unsubscribe@egroups.com
                    subscribe@egroups.com

                    Service.

                    > This message was checked by NOD32 Antivirus System.
                    > http://www.nod32.com

                  • Kite Power (Sydney)
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 22, 2003
                      Ozone Frenzys are awesome kites for land water and snow use, provided that on water you are prepared for a kite that wil most likley not re-launch.
                      www.kitepower.com.au

                      <sydney@k...> wrote:
                      > Slingshot make great kitesurfing kites, but their land based foils
                      are pretty ordinary compared to foil kites from more experienced
                      manufacturers. Some of the best I have tried are from Flexifoil,
                      Ozone and Peter Lynn.
                      > All the SS foils are 2 line, you really want and need 4 line for
                      best performance and safety on land/snow, or water.
                      > Cya and
                      > Goodwinds
                      > Steve McCormack
                      > www.kitepower.com.au