Re: [ksurfschool] Digest Number 945

  • Dennis Lent
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12 6:27 AM
      Rj,
      I kite in both crowded ocean venues (Cape Cod) where people are "used
      to" kiteboarding and in inland lakes where people have never seen kiting.
      People are like moths when they see your flame/kite. Unfortunately it goes
      with the territory. When I learned my initial reaction was much like yours
      but a few events changed my mind and made me think about the moths in a
      different light.
      I used to hate jet skiers would curse them when they came anywhere near me.
      Then one day I was in the ocean at Sebastian Inlet, Fl, near monster hole.
      The wind switched from 15-20 south to 25+ W with higher gusts. West is dead
      offshore there. No matter how much I tried to get upwind I was losing
      ground rapidly. I decided to put the kite down and wrap up the lines.
      After I did that I was still being pushed more offshore. I'm an excellent
      swimmer but at best I was staying even.. I was tiring and was about to set
      my kite free because I began to realize I couldn't make it with the kite.
      Then I heard the unmistakeable noise of a jet ski. He towed me back to
      shore, saved me & my kite and I took a vow, no matter how annoying I found
      potential "rescuers" to be to try to be friendly and courteous. The
      alternative, if you think about it, is not what you really want. If I need
      help and somebody ignored me, well that's a result that's really negative.
      The Coast guard signal for I'm okay is to pat your hand on your head (the
      same as kiters do when they want to land the kite). This might help with a
      few of the more knowledgable boaters. If your lake is small eventually the
      people there will realize when you are okay or when you need help. Till
      then just bite your tongue and scream I'm okay. Hostility towards your
      "rescuers" could isolate you when you really need help.
      One other BIG point. The time to get your lines straight is when the
      kite is on the GROUND not in the air. You are a danger to yourself and
      others if you launch a kite with crossed lines. You could find yourself
      with no control at all. If your launch isn't long enough to set the lines
      up do it before hand somewhere else, attatch the lines to the kite, wind the
      lines on bar up CAREFULLY (figure 8) and then when you go to launch unwind
      the lines carefully making sure not to twist or rotate the bar.
      I don't know if you ski or snowboard, but usually in everyone's
      learning curve there's a stage where you get "nervous" when encountering
      another ski/snowbder. Just as you outgrow this you will out grow the
      anxiety when others attempt to enter your "zone".
      You might even want to try to talk to your "tormentors" after you put
      the kite away and explain to them your situation. I think they'll
      understand. They probably thought they were doing the right thing. And
      really they were. Most people, even when they should accept a rescue, will
      fight to the very end to try to work it out themselves so they might have
      though you were doing this.
      Have fun, make friends, not enemies.
      .