TO flkitesurfer

  • rjbeavis
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 12, 2003
      I am a beginner and have been trying to successfully learn how to
      ride for almost 3 years now. My work is very involved and I get
      very little time. I progress everytime I go out, its just time in
      between going at one point was a year. During this time I have
      lived in some great riding spots that I would not go near because I
      did not want to injure myself other people. My wife's grandparents
      have a cabin on a lake in Maine that we go to usually late in
      August. Usually there is a 10-15 sometimes 20 mph wind going. This
      last time up there a few weeks ago the wind did not cooperate too
      much but I still tried like heck. I have to paddle in a canoe about
      1/2 mile across this lake to get to the only safe spot and have my
      wife help lauch me. Like I said the wind did not cooperate this
      year so we spent more time trying to launch than flying. This is
      when I could almost literally kill people because they #@$!ing piss
      me off so bad! We had people literally getting into their boats and
      coming all the way across to find out we needed help. To get them
      to leave I literally had to just about cuss them out and tell them
      my kite could cut off their heads by getting that close. I kid you
      not, this happened easliy 7 times over 2 days. Now granted I told
      my wife to put the kite down and wait til they left, which took
      everything I just told you. Now I always had her put it down when I
      saw them get close. She would try and tell them to get away
      politely when they would first show up and they would just stay
      there. Then, I would start yelling because now they are holding me
      up from the little time that I get and remove myself from being near
      anyone to try and learn how to ride. She was standing on a rockand
      I was standing in waist deep water just waiting for wind. Not
      flailing with the kite. Just standing there waiting for wind. The
      first time I got it flying, I realized I had some lines crossed and
      control was iffy, but I figure I would try some body drags with it
      anyways and see if I could get the lines uncrossed. My wife was
      following me in the canoe. A guy comes blazing up in a boat.
      Ignores my wife as she is yelling at him to stay away from me and
      comes up within fifty feet of me asking if I need help. This guy I
      did cuss out because He was just about under my kite when I knew the
      control lines were crossed ad my control was sketchy. I don't want
      to have to yell and insult people and make kiteboarders look like
      jerks, but when I yell at people it is the only way they leave.
      When I had the kite in the air, I had body dragged maybe a hundred
      feet or so. I had been sitting stationery under the kite for about 2
      minutes just playing with and seeing how it moved with the crossed
      lines debating whether to continue or not or if I cold uncross them.
      And I know that body dragging can look like a violent thing for
      someone who does not know the sport, but it was not he case here
      either. I don't mind people watching get yanked around while I am
      learning, but they don't understand they can watch from 500 feet
      away and get the same view. Ever since I had my first lesson and my
      first big yank from a big kite, I have tried to be as safe as
      possible because of the power of that kite. When people ask about
      it, I say it like getting pulled by a boat except the wind doesn't
      stop when you fall or screw up. I will follow your saftey
      guidelines and hopefully I will being riding in the future, so when
      I see these morons again, I can just ride away from them.
    • Ian Horne
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 12, 2003
        Wow, It sounds like you had a rough weekend. I dont know what to say
        about the actions of the other people, except that it sounds like a
        good lake to be on if you need help. It is sorta funny how when you
        are just trying to be isolated, you cant get away from people.

        I really dont know how to put this becuase I dont know you, but It
        might not be a good idea to yell at people who are trying to help out
        (no matter how close they come to getting thier heads cut off). I
        believe you said it yourself, "they just dont understand..." And that
        probibally is it...but you could have pissed off the only helpful
        people on the lake, and now there could be nobody left that is
        willing to help out...not that big of a deal when you have your wife
        in a boat behind you, and you have another side of the lake down
        wind... but It could be that you need help someday on an ocean beach
        while riding, you are going to depend on the good samaritan.

        For what is worth, it probibally was a stressful situation. Nothing
        is more stressful than trying to learn/practice and having people
        getting in the way. People are like ants and kiteboarding is like
        sugar. The one just attracts the other.
      • zibraphotography
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 12, 2003
          Relax and take a deep breath try to enjoy the sport a little more. If
          someone offers you help, it is simple. no I am fine but thanks anyway.. And
          if you are worried about cutting of their heads maybe you shouldn't be
          flying the kite just yet, wait for some more wind and get a smaller kite and
          practice keeping it in the sky till your more comfortable with controlling
          the kite. We all have run into situations where kooks have tried to help and
          just ended up getting in our way. Today a older man who was watching me kite
          grabed my bar as I was walking up the beach... because he thought I might
          need some help holding the kite down. I simply explained to him what can
          happen, brought the kite around let it pull me a bit on the beach. Now he
          knows what it is and I am pretty sure he will ask next time if somebody
          needs help instead of just giving it.
          Anyway basicly get comfortable with the kite in an area without people,
          I don't know about your kiteboarding locations, But where I ride there are
          always other people around, and they are always going to be in the way. If
          the kite wont stay in the air dont put it up there!!!
          Scott
          lpca

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 13, 2003
            Hey Scott,

            You missed my point a little bit. I can fly the kite fine! It was
            a new kite from a different brand that I was getting the feel for.
            I said I was a half mile or more from people. I will admit that
            right now I have absolutely no business trying to ride anywhere near
            anyone. I have total control with my arc that I have flown on
            several beaches where people have come up from behind to ask a quick
            question or two or just watched way over on the side out of the way.
            No problem. And as I said, my wife politely asked these people to
            stay away and too please go away, help was not needed. They
            proceeded to pretend she did not exist. I am following the
            guidelines for flying safe by going away from everyone, WAY AWAY and
            people come get in my way. I do the safe thing and stand down ti l
            they leave and then go back to learning. Basically it gets
            frustrating because I work so much and little time to dedicate at
            this moment. I read somewhere that when watching good riders kite
            it was described as something like "dangerously easy". So, people
            won't understand what dangers there actually are. "oh wow look at
            that guy flying a kite, lets go see" Not understanding all the
            forces that we are controlling but out of our control, things can go
            entirely the wrong way. Believe me, I love this sport and will talk
            about it to anyone that will listen even though I am not a full
            rider yet. And I believe in keeping it as safe as possible to keep
            the blood crazed media away from giving it any kind of bad rap. Have
            a good night.
          • jakob Thegerström
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 13, 2003
              If you're in the water it sometimes help to keep
              people away if you make a strong (and of course safe
              and controlled) crash with the kite. When you show
              what can happen if you loose control of the kite...
              normally people keep distance after that... But if
              there are just too many people it is up to you to stop
              kiting in order to avoid an accident!!

              cheers
              Jakob

              --- zibraphotography <zibraphotography@...>
              skrev:
              ---------------------------------
[...]

              answers
              to the most frequently asked questions.

              To unsubscribe, please send an email to
              ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
              To subscribe, please send an email to
              ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

              Terms of Service.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

              answers
              to the most frequently asked questions.

              To unsubscribe, please send an email to
              ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
              To subscribe, please send an email to
              ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

              Terms of Service.

              Höstrusk och grå moln - köp en resa till solen på Yahoo! Resor på adressen http://se.docs.yahoo.com/travel/index.html
            • Kite Power (Sydney)
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 13, 2003
                No-one has total control of a kite, the wind is the thing in charge!
                Why did you and your wife not explain that they were wellcome to watch from upwind?

                Cya and Goodwinds, Steve McCormack

                Kitepower Australia
                t: +61 2 9529 6894
                m: 0419 508 565
                w: www.kitepower.com.au

                302 The Grand Pde,
                Sans Souci, NSW 2219

[...]

                This message was checked by NOD32 Antivirus System.
                http://www.nod32.com