Very light wind lofting danger!!!

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2003
      I was out in 4-6 knots with my Black Tip 21.8.

      The whole incident happened in shallow water far away from shore so it
      was very safe and the incident was an excellent learning experience. The
      kite would fall easily in such light wind so I needed to occasionally
      fly it back and forth just to keep it in the air. At the beginning of a
      flying cycle, a gust came (maybe around 8 - 10 knots) and the
      combination of the the kite at the start of the flying cycle and the
      gust make an "unintentional" jump and the kite just lift me 5'+ out of
      the water.

      Lesson learned:

      1- When you are busy doing something (trying to keep the kite in the air
      in this case), you don't see when the gust come
      2- When you get lofted, you don't really know UNTIL you are off the
      ground/water
      3- Lofting happens VERY QUICK so there is nothing your brain can do
      until you are back on the ground/water again (this was a very safe
      environment, but I started thinking the worst and trying to unhook just
      as a precaution, but by the time the signal get to my hands, my body has
      already slammed back onto the water) . I think the only thing I can
      probably do is to just release the bar, definitely too quick to unhook
      and surely way too quick to take the hands out of the bar to find to the
      shackle and pull the release. Of course for a higher loft, you may have
      enough time to do something but by then you are probably 20'+ in the air...

      I WILL NEVER HOOK IN ON LAND after this experience.

      P.S., For LEI, I think 5-6 knots is the limit as lower than that it's
      more a struggle trying to keep the kite in the air.