Re: Relaunching a large LEI

  • hungvuatnetcomdotca
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 7 4:28 AM
      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Horne" <ichorne@y...> wrote:
      > the air for another 30 seconds. Last friday, I made my way out about
      > 100 yards off shore (that is 91.44 meters for your european and aus.
      > friends) got my board redy to go, squated down slowly to keep the
      > kite from overflying me, and just as I was about to "dip" the kite to
      > start, the kite just fell. It does that to me every time.

      Most inflatable don't fly very well by itself when the wind is light
      and gusty. Try to continuously flying it left and right a bit with
      one hand when trying to get on the board (it's hard for a beginner but
      an essential skill in light and gusty wind).

      > No problem,
      > I'll just re-launch the kite. NOPE. I have now been in the water with
      > the kite down longer then with the kite in the air. It seems like
      > every time the kite is L.E. down in the water, I pull my bar up to my
      > chest, and run at the kite with everything I have. the kite either
      > rolls over and over tumbling, or it lays down and flattens out. I
      > prefer the kite on its back (like most things!) I get the kite over
      > on its side and start to bring it to the edge of the window, as I do
      > that, it just falls over on it's LE again. it does it every flipping
      > time. So now I have a thousand bucks in sun tanning equipment instead
      > of kitesurfing equipment.

      For the kite to get into its proper position for relaunching, ONE WING
      TIP HAS TO CATCH the wind; otherwise, it just lies there. To help to
      tip to catch the wind, swim/walk to one side (swim/walk to the right
      side to help the right tip to fly, swim/walk to the left side to help
      the left tip). So select one tip you think will fly sooner than the
      other and act accordingly to help it.

      Once one tip catchs the air and start "flying" it becomes the "top
      tip" (high on top, in the air). Try to pull on the "bottom tip" (the
      tip that is not flying and will be eventually at the bottom, closer to
      the water) to get the kite in proper position and slide to the edge
      (if you are not pulling the bottom tip at this step, the kite will
      fall over its LE again). I have seen many students not pulling the
      bottom tip at this stage and have the kite fall over its LE again.

      During the whole process, the top tip may collapse and fold down a bit
      - if this happens, just swim/walk toward the kite a bit to get the top
      tip flying again.

      Hung.
    • Cal Bode
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 9 2:11 PM
        I have a question about kiteboarding products. Does anyone know about LF kiteboarding?

        I can get a deal for a brand new kite and bar for $800 and other products for wholesale price. I have yet to kiteboard, but I will be doing this as soon as I can get the money. It is a LF tension kite and the regional rep told me I should get a 14 meter kite for my weight and wind conditions.

        Is this a good price?

        Which brand has the greatest bang for the buck for the different pieces of equipment? ---WHat is the best way to get into the sport for a good price and good quality- Used equipment, new equipment, reliability, warranties?

        I appreciate the help.

        Thanks,

        CAL from Wisconsin

      • Ian Horne
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 10 5:28 AM
          I actually fly a 15 Meter2 liquid force kite. This is my first kite,
          I purchased it used on ebay, and have no problems with it. I have
          nothing to compare it to though. I wanted the book that comes with
          the kite when it is purchased new, and I contacted the company (my
          local dealer told me that Obrien, LF's parent company, was not going
          to continue with the kite stuff, and focus only on wake boarding.)
          with that in mind, I contacted the company, and much to my surprise,
          they are going strong in the kite world. The regional rep got me my
          owners manual, and actually called me to make sure I got it. We
          chatted for a while, because we are from the same part of the
          country. They have great customer service, even the secretary I spoke
          to in California sounded like she liked her job, and that goes along
          way with me when I buy anything over $50.00. customer service is just
          as inportant as the product itself. If you ever have a problem, I
          know they would do everything they could to take care of it. Not bad
          when you think of how much you are about to spend.... Let me know
          what your experience is like.

          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Cal Bode <caljbode@y...> wrote:

          > I have a question about kiteboarding products. Does anyone know
          about LF kiteboarding?

          > I can get a deal for a brand new kite and bar for $800 and other
          products for wholesale price. I have yet to kiteboard, but I will be
          doing this as soon as I can get the money. It is a LF tension kite
          and the regional rep told me I should get a 14 meter kite for my
          weight and wind conditions.

          > Is this a good price?
          >
          > Which brand has the greatest bang for the buck for the different
          pieces of equipment? ---WHat is the best way to get into the sport
          for a good price and good quality- Used equipment, new equipment,
          reliability, warranties?

          > I appreciate the help.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > CAL from Wisconsin

        • hungvuatnetcomdotca
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 10 3:17 PM
            --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Cal Bode <caljbode@y...> wrote:
            pieces of equipment? ---WHat is the best way to get into the sport for
            a good price and good quality- Used equipment, new equipment,
            reliability, warranties?

            Used equipment is one of the best ways to get in to the sport as you
            don't need to pay premium price while learning.

          • matt nuzzo
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 11 11:29 AM
              Hey Cal,

              We have a 12m LF flight kite for $399 complete. Also
              check out our Slingshot Slingathon, new kites at used
              prices. be careful buying used gear. you could be
              buying someone elses headaches.

              Ron
              www.REALKITEBOARDING.com

              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com