Relaunching a 21.8 Black Tip in 6-7 knots

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2003
      OK I did it (many times too)!

      I was in shallow water and had to run almost 100' (line length) toward
      the kite to have it flip over (I thought the kite would never flip but
      it did eventually - why it took so long I don't know). After that
      everything is as usual (same technique as with small inflatable - get a
      tip to catch the wind - keep pulling on the tip that is near the water
      for the kite to go to the edge of the wind window - pull on the top tip
      to relaunch the kite when ready ).

      P.S., I use these "monters" to teach heavier weight students (180 lbs
      +) in sub 10 knots wind as one of the most common problem in learning
      is not having enough power and we have many sub 10 knots days around here.

      P.P.S., Using the 7/12 ratio (standard foil to inflatable), this kite
      should be equivalent to a standard 12.7 m2 foil and it got just about
      enough power for me and my 140 cm wakeboard in this wind. I should have
      been cranking with it with a 230 cm directional.

      P.P.P.S., If a student can learn how to relaunch these "monters", they
      can relaunch any LEI!!!

      P.P.P.P.S., LEI is more convenience for teaching than foil on water as
      you can leave the kite on the water for a long time while going over a
      few mistakes or theory points with the students.