Relaunching a large LEI

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 4, 2003
      I went out with a student (actually a beginner kitesurfer now) with a
      16.6 LEI in very light wind (could be around 6, 7 knots) and we manage
      to relaunch the kite a number of times in very light wind.

      The difficulty in relaunching a very large LEI in very light wind is how
      to let it flip over. To flip over a very large kite in light wind, one
      needs to really swim/run a very long distance toward the kite before it
      can flip over. I find that to flip over a 16.6, I have to swim/run
      twice as much as I need to flip over a 12.5.

      So to flip over a very large LEI in very light wind, don't loose heart,
      just swim/run toward the kite until it flip over.

      Once the kite is flipped over, relaunching is a piece of cake.

      Hung.
    • Ian Horne
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 5, 2003
        Actually Hung, I am glad you started this thread. I have experienced
        increasing frustration with trying to water launch my Apexx 15.
        Everything that goes wrong wouldnt happen if I could keep the kite in
        the air for another 30 seconds. Last friday, I made my way out about
        100 yards off shore (that is 91.44 meters for your european and aus.
        friends) got my board redy to go, squated down slowly to keep the
        kite from overflying me, and just as I was about to "dip" the kite to
        start, the kite just fell. It does that to me every time. No problem,
        I'll just re-launch the kite. NOPE. I have now been in the water with
        the kite down longer then with the kite in the air. It seems like
        every time the kite is L.E. down in the water, I pull my bar up to my
        chest, and run at the kite with everything I have. the kite either
        rolls over and over tumbling, or it lays down and flattens out. I
        prefer the kite on its back (like most things!) I get the kite over
        on its side and start to bring it to the edge of the window, as I do
        that, it just falls over on it's LE again. it does it every flipping
        time. So now I have a thousand bucks in sun tanning equipment instead
        of kitesurfing equipment.

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
        > I went out with a student (actually a beginner kitesurfer now) with
        > 16.6 LEI in very light wind (could be around 6, 7 knots) and we
        manage
        > to relaunch the kite a number of times in very light wind.
        >
        > The difficulty in relaunching a very large LEI in very light wind
        is how
        > to let it flip over. To flip over a very large kite in light wind,
        one
        > needs to really swim/run a very long distance toward the kite
        before it
        > can flip over. I find that to flip over a 16.6, I have to swim/run
        > twice as much as I need to flip over a 12.5.
        >
        > So to flip over a very large LEI in very light wind, don't loose
        heart,
        > just swim/run toward the kite until it flip over.
        >
        > Once the kite is flipped over, relaunching is a piece of cake.
        >
        > Hung.
      • inlandc
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 5, 2003
          Ian,

          If the kite is tumbling after you head at it, you are going to at the kite/
          this is also very bad for the kite as it turns inside out and can cause the
          le to rip/
          Pull the bar over your head and head at the kite, once it is about 70% on
          its back stop and let it come to rest on its back/
          Point one end of the bar at the kite on and HOLD IT THERE!.
          Swim the opposite way the kite is going to decrease the time the kite has to
          move to the edge of the window/
          once the kite starts to unfold as it is nearing the edge of the window level
          out the bar and let it take off.

          It takes practice to get the timimng right, KEEP GOING!!!!!

          Philip

          Philip Mann
          Inland Sea Windsurf Co
          Kitesite.net
          http://www.inlandsea.com
          http://www.kitesite.net
          888-465-2632
          802-862-3847

          Actually Hung, I am glad you started this thread. I have experienced
          increasing frustration with trying to water launch my Apexx 15.
          Everything that goes wrong wouldnt happen if I could keep the kite in
          the air for another 30 seconds. Last friday, I made my way out about
          100 yards off shore (that is 91.44 meters for your european and aus.
          friends) got my board redy to go, squated down slowly to keep the
          kite from overflying me, and just as I was about to "dip" the kite to
          start, the kite just fell. It does that to me every time. No problem,
          I'll just re-launch the kite. NOPE. I have now been in the water with
          the kite down longer then with the kite in the air. It seems like
          every time the kite is L.E. down in the water, I pull my bar up to my
          chest, and run at the kite with everything I have. the kite either
          rolls over and over tumbling, or it lays down and flattens out. I
          prefer the kite on its back (like most things!) I get the kite over
          on its side and start to bring it to the edge of the window, as I do
          that, it just falls over on it's LE again. it does it every flipping
          time. So now I have a thousand bucks in sun tanning equipment instead
          of kitesurfing equipment.

          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
          > I went out with a student (actually a beginner kitesurfer now) with
          > 16.6 LEI in very light wind (could be around 6, 7 knots) and we
          manage
          > to relaunch the kite a number of times in very light wind.
          >
          > The difficulty in relaunching a very large LEI in very light wind
          is how
          > to let it flip over. To flip over a very large kite in light wind,
          one
          > needs to really swim/run a very long distance toward the kite
          before it
          > can flip over. I find that to flip over a 16.6, I have to swim/run
          > twice as much as I need to flip over a 12.5.
          >
          > So to flip over a very large LEI in very light wind, don't loose
          heart,
          > just swim/run toward the kite until it flip over.
          >
          > Once the kite is flipped over, relaunching is a piece of cake.

        • hungvuatnetcomdotca
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 7, 2003
            --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Horne" <ichorne@y...> wrote:
            > the air for another 30 seconds. Last friday, I made my way out about
            > 100 yards off shore (that is 91.44 meters for your european and aus.
            > friends) got my board redy to go, squated down slowly to keep the
            > kite from overflying me, and just as I was about to "dip" the kite to
            > start, the kite just fell. It does that to me every time.

            Most inflatable don't fly very well by itself when the wind is light
            and gusty. Try to continuously flying it left and right a bit with
            one hand when trying to get on the board (it's hard for a beginner but
            an essential skill in light and gusty wind).

            > No problem,
            > I'll just re-launch the kite. NOPE. I have now been in the water with
            > the kite down longer then with the kite in the air. It seems like
            > every time the kite is L.E. down in the water, I pull my bar up to my
            > chest, and run at the kite with everything I have. the kite either
            > rolls over and over tumbling, or it lays down and flattens out. I
            > prefer the kite on its back (like most things!) I get the kite over
            > on its side and start to bring it to the edge of the window, as I do
            > that, it just falls over on it's LE again. it does it every flipping
            > time. So now I have a thousand bucks in sun tanning equipment instead
            > of kitesurfing equipment.

            For the kite to get into its proper position for relaunching, ONE WING
            TIP HAS TO CATCH the wind; otherwise, it just lies there. To help to
            tip to catch the wind, swim/walk to one side (swim/walk to the right
            side to help the right tip to fly, swim/walk to the left side to help
            the left tip). So select one tip you think will fly sooner than the
            other and act accordingly to help it.

            Once one tip catchs the air and start "flying" it becomes the "top
            tip" (high on top, in the air). Try to pull on the "bottom tip" (the
            tip that is not flying and will be eventually at the bottom, closer to
            the water) to get the kite in proper position and slide to the edge
            (if you are not pulling the bottom tip at this step, the kite will
            fall over its LE again). I have seen many students not pulling the
            bottom tip at this stage and have the kite fall over its LE again.

            During the whole process, the top tip may collapse and fold down a bit
            - if this happens, just swim/walk toward the kite a bit to get the top
            tip flying again.

            Hung.
          • Cal Bode
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 9, 2003
              I have a question about kiteboarding products. Does anyone know about LF kiteboarding?

              I can get a deal for a brand new kite and bar for $800 and other products for wholesale price. I have yet to kiteboard, but I will be doing this as soon as I can get the money. It is a LF tension kite and the regional rep told me I should get a 14 meter kite for my weight and wind conditions.

              Is this a good price?

              Which brand has the greatest bang for the buck for the different pieces of equipment? ---WHat is the best way to get into the sport for a good price and good quality- Used equipment, new equipment, reliability, warranties?

              I appreciate the help.

              Thanks,

              CAL from Wisconsin

            • Ian Horne
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 10, 2003
                I actually fly a 15 Meter2 liquid force kite. This is my first kite,
                I purchased it used on ebay, and have no problems with it. I have
                nothing to compare it to though. I wanted the book that comes with
                the kite when it is purchased new, and I contacted the company (my
                local dealer told me that Obrien, LF's parent company, was not going
                to continue with the kite stuff, and focus only on wake boarding.)
                with that in mind, I contacted the company, and much to my surprise,
                they are going strong in the kite world. The regional rep got me my
                owners manual, and actually called me to make sure I got it. We
                chatted for a while, because we are from the same part of the
                country. They have great customer service, even the secretary I spoke
                to in California sounded like she liked her job, and that goes along
                way with me when I buy anything over $50.00. customer service is just
                as inportant as the product itself. If you ever have a problem, I
                know they would do everything they could to take care of it. Not bad
                when you think of how much you are about to spend.... Let me know
                what your experience is like.

                --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Cal Bode <caljbode@y...> wrote:

                > I have a question about kiteboarding products. Does anyone know
                about LF kiteboarding?

                > I can get a deal for a brand new kite and bar for $800 and other
                products for wholesale price. I have yet to kiteboard, but I will be
                doing this as soon as I can get the money. It is a LF tension kite
                and the regional rep told me I should get a 14 meter kite for my
                weight and wind conditions.

                > Is this a good price?
                >
                > Which brand has the greatest bang for the buck for the different
                pieces of equipment? ---WHat is the best way to get into the sport
                for a good price and good quality- Used equipment, new equipment,
                reliability, warranties?

                > I appreciate the help.
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > CAL from Wisconsin

              • hungvuatnetcomdotca
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 10, 2003
                  --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Cal Bode <caljbode@y...> wrote:
                  pieces of equipment? ---WHat is the best way to get into the sport for
                  a good price and good quality- Used equipment, new equipment,
                  reliability, warranties?

                  Used equipment is one of the best ways to get in to the sport as you
                  don't need to pay premium price while learning.

                • matt nuzzo
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 11, 2003
                    Hey Cal,

                    We have a 12m LF flight kite for $399 complete. Also
                    check out our Slingshot Slingathon, new kites at used
                    prices. be careful buying used gear. you could be
                    buying someone elses headaches.

                    Ron
                    www.REALKITEBOARDING.com

                    http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com