What can one do when overpowerd ?

  • kiteghost
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2003
      Today I was out on my naish aero2 12m2 on a 5'2" tt board in 15 knots
      of wind and it was gusting to 20 knots and was overpowerd a couple of
      times. what can i do in a gust to prevent me fling over the board ?

      would shorter lines say 20 or 15 meter lines do the trick ?

      I'm 6'4" and weight round about 165 lbs.

      tx
    • p
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2003
        I can pass on the same advice given to me by this group.

        What you want to acheive is a lower board speed and kite at edge of the window. To do this you need to..

        1)start digging in with your back leg and gradually send the board up wind. Gradually start leaning back as well to catch more edge on the board. Basically, start applying the breaks but not too much too soon or you'll lock up the wheels and skid out to use an analogy.
        2)As you are digging the board in the kite will start to run towards the edge of the window. You must bring it closer down to the water if you are to edge effectively. If its up above you then you cant lean back and dig the edge in.

        From my own beginner experience I can tell you there are a few things to avoid.
        1) edging too hard too quickly, you'll jump and thats bad right?? (o; you've got to wait for the kite to get low and to the edge. You've got to combine edge with leaning back with kite position.
        2)running the kite too quickly to the edge, thats going to generate more power. If you're already about to lose your edge then the last thing you need it more power. Just wait for it to come together - it will.
        3)a tendancy to keep the kite high, its only going to lift you up and over your board. You cant lean back and edge if the kite is right above you.
        4)To get the kite to the edge of the window where there is less power you need to avoid pulling the bar in, something that took me a while to get around. Pulling in on the reigns will just keep you powered up for longer or until you get kicked off and spanked.

        Hope this helps, btw I would say I'm a complete master at this yet but this is whats fresh in my mind right now so I thought I'd share where I'm at. I imagine this is second nature to most of the experts.
        pauric

        kiteghost <kiteghost@...> wrote:
        Today I was out on my naish aero2 12m2 on a 5'2" tt board in 15 knots
        of wind and it was gusting to 20 knots and was overpowerd a couple of
        times. what can i do in a gust to prevent me fling over the board ?

        would shorter lines say 20 or 15 meter lines do the trick ?

        I'm 6'4" and weight round about 165 lbs.

        tx

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT