Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Going Upwind

  • George Sarris
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
      --- "Kite Power (Sydney)" <sydney@...>
      wrote:

      > You can't go upwind when you sine the kite?
      > That's a load of crapola!
      > The trick to going upwind when sining the kite is
      > to point your board slightly down wind on the up
      > stroke and sheet out, pull in to turn and sheet out
      > and edge hard on the down stroke. The reason for
      > this is because you have to fight gravity on the up
      > stroke. Sheet out to increase the speed of your kite
      > which will lead to more power. Going up wind is
      > about retaining good speed in both the kite and the
      > board. Another tip is to compress your knees on the
      > upside of chop or waves and pump your legs on the
      > down slope. Just like getting speed through a set of
      > rollers on skis or a snowboard.
      >
      > It is definately possible and dont let anyone tell
      > you otherwise. No one said it would be easy
      > though!!!!!!
      >
      > Dave
      > Kitepower

      > removed]

      Thanks Dave. I've been doing you said in regard to
      the upstroke by going a little down wind to keep the
      kite speed up, but I've got a ways to go to master the
      technique so I can stay upwind. It is alot of work as
      you said. Regarding the chop or waves, most of the
      time there is not much chop/waves since the winds are
      very light but I'll definitely try it.

      Thanks again.

      Jake

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com