Re: [ksurfschool] Newbie

  • Kite Power (Sydney)
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 22, 2003
      G'day
      No you are not kidding yourself! You can do it for sure especially since you have a lot of skills with a kite, especially Revs!
      But, this sport can kill you, unlike the kite flying you are used to, it is not for everyone, the forces involved are massive, and every honest kiter will admit that the kites power demands respect/fear!
      GET LESSONS, you are taking a huge risk to yourself and anyone downwind of you if you even attempt to fly a suitable sized kite without tuition. Try to get a lesson from an IKO trained instructor.
      Go to a kite shop if possible, one that was around before kiteboarding began, that has staff that kitesurf, if not go to a windsurf/kiteshop, and seek out the staff that actually kite.
      If they are casual about kite leashes, and safety shop elsewhere.
      Kites from the major brands, made since 2001, are all pretty good, and there are a lot of closeout deals around.
      Avoid buying used except from reputable shops, avoid kites that have untidy looking repairs in the bladders.
      The sport is 80%+ kite flying skill, so it does not matter one bit that you have never surfed. Wear a helmet and flotation/impact vest at all times while learning.
      http://www.kitepower.com.au