Re: [ksurfschool] Relaunch in strong wind

  • Martyn_Gilson-1@sbphrd.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 12, 2000
      Hi,
      This is one of the problems with a four line option. When the kite is on the
      water face down it doesn't have the option to spill the wind as easy and it
      remains taught, especially in high winds when it is constantly being blown down
      wind.

      What you need to do is the same as normal, you need to grab a leader line and
      give it an almighty tug and hope that this will make the kite travel to the
      corner of the wind window. Because it is so windy it will be difficult but keep
      trying.

      When at the corner it should flick back to a launchable position.

      Another option is to jump forward to momentarily slacken the lines, the kite may
      spin and get airborne.

      I am not that experienced with four lines and maybe someone else can offer more
      advice.
      Martyn

      pilonig@... on 08-Sep-2000 07:23

      Please respond to ksurfschool@egroups.com

      To: ksurfschool, kitesurf
      cc: (bcc: Martyn Gilson-1/DEV/PHRD/SB_PLC)
      Subject: [ksurfschool] Relaunch in strong wind

      Hi all,

      yesterday I had some problems during a kitesurf session.

      I'm a beginner, about 10 sessions, and an average windsurfer, 11 mq Wipika
      Freeair 4x30 mt lines, I can go upwind.
      The wind was very gusty, between 5 and 15- 20 knots and I had some
      difficulties to control the power under gust, but I was able to go.
      After 15-20 minutes the wind became stronger, I think the range was 20-30
      knots, since I saw some windurfers overpowered with 5 mq sails, and I
      wasn't able to relaunch the kite after a fall.

      The kite was on water downwind, lines under regular tension, but the
      extremity leaned on water was aiming the sky, taking wind on the upper
      surface of the kite, and the upper extremity was crushed on water, taking
      wind on the upper surface too.
      I wasn't able to resolve the situation, and I was rescued by a friend with
      a motorboat.
      The leading edge was well inflated, no tangled lines.
      Is this a common situation and is there a solution?
      Was this situation cause by strong wind and big kite or was only my
      inexperience?

      Thanks in advance for your replies.

      Ciao.

      --
      Giuseppe Piloni
      pilonig@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 12, 2000
        If the wind is especially strong you may need to pull in 6 feet or so of the
        leader that is attached to the upper flying line. This helps a lot if your
        kite is just starting to form a "corkscrew" and the trailing end of the kite
        starts lifting into the air. I usually hold onto the upper flying line
        until the kite starts to form a corkscrew shape and then I slowly release
        the leader allowing the line to detension and allow the upper edge to lift
        off the water and slowly open to catch the wind.

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 12, 2000
          I've had the exact same problem and was told the same solution - pull way in
          on the center lines and let go, then the kite will flip on its back and you
          can work it to the edge of the window. But I haven't tested it, haven't
          crashed since then...

          -D

        • kennyfarnsworth@cs.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 12, 2000
            D,

            We are talking about two different problems.

            You described how to get the kite to flip over when the leading edge in
            laying on the water. Pulling on the center leader line will do the trick.

            I described how to get the kite to relaunch in very strong winds when the
            kite forms the "corkscrew" shape and the upper edge dips into the water and
            stays there.

            Glad to hear that you don't need to water relaunch often. You must have
            fairly steady wind, lucky you! I have only had a couple sessions with steady
            wind, but I still managed to crash the kite jumping.

            Kenny