Re: [ksurfschool] Launching

  • chandler@gunderlandmarine.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 19, 2003
      I am a beginner and need help with launching. I have to
      launch from a rocky shoreline, no beach area and usually a
      side or side on wind 12-18 kts. The water is shallow with a
      nice sandy bottom, I just haven't figured out a way to get
      launched without endangering the kite or myself. I am using a
      four line kite. Any help will be appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Bob
    • flkitesurfer
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 19, 2003
        Hello Bob,

        Sounds like a bad place to try to learn the sport. There are no
        other options for riding that have sand beaches and a lack of nearby
        hard objects? If anything goes wrong you could easily end up on
        those rocks very fast on a side onshore day.

        If you have no other choice, after carefully preflighting your gear
        a couple of times you could have an assisted launch from as far
        offshore as you can comfortably walk (300 ft. sounds reasonable).
        If the wind is up and something seriously goes wrong even 300 ft. of
        distance can vanish rapidly. People can and have learned under such
        circumstances before but the environment can be very unforgiving of
        mistakes and plain old bad luck. There are solo launch techniques
        that an experienced rider might want to contemplate allowing for the
        increased risk of that approach but for a new rider I definitely
        would recommend against waterborne solo launching. All the normal
        comments about safety gear certainly apply in this case.

        FKA, Inc.
        transcribed by:
        Rick Iossi

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 19, 2003
          Thanks Rick for the valuable information. I have other
          alternatives, but the mentioned site is across the street
          from my house and would be convenient. I will heed your
          advice and go elsewhere until my skill level is sufficient to
          allow me to be handle this area.

          Thanks again,

          Bob
        • flkitesurfer
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 19, 2003
            Sounds like a good plan. Unfortunately, riders can often get away
            with marginal practices for a long time but every once in a while
            will be pulled up short. It is best to take the more conservative
            approach until you are well on top of your kiteboarding skills and
            perhaps even beyond that point. The unexpected can happen even to
            instructors and competitive kiteboarders.Two very experienced riders
            suffered serious head injuries after being slammed into some rocks
            in California two weekends ago. Lots of helmets coming to that part
            of California it seems as a consequence. Key lessons from those
            accidents include always maintaining a downwind buffer zone, 100 ft.
            min. with 300 ft. or more even better AND never to have anyone other
            than a trained assistant help you to launch or land your kite.

            More ideas about safer kiteboarding practices and quite a few
            accident summaries and analysis appear at the location listed below:

            http://tinyurl.com/kicy