??? about practicing behind a boat

  • kller_
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 10, 2003
      Hi,

      I don't live near an aera where I can kiteboard, but would like to
      prepare as much as possible before going to the effort and axpense
      of going somewhere and taking lessons. Never having boarded at all,
      what would be the best way to get some boarding experience behind
      a ski boat? What type of board should I get? Should I try to raise
      the area where the ski rope is attached to closer simulate the
      position of the kite? Etc?

      Thanks for any help!
      David
    • hungvuatnetcomdotca
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 10, 2003
        Of all my students, wakeboarders learn fastest, so wakeboarding
        experience definitely speed up the learning curve.

        Hung.

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "kller_" <kller_@y...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I don't live near an aera where I can kiteboard, but would like to
        > prepare as much as possible before going to the effort and axpense
        > of going somewhere and taking lessons. Never having boarded at all,
        > what would be the best way to get some boarding experience behind
        > a ski boat? What type of board should I get? Should I try to raise
        > the area where the ski rope is attached to closer simulate the
        > position of the kite? Etc?
        >
        > Thanks for any help!
        > David
      • Kite Power (Sydney)
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 10, 2003
          Yep definately get some wakeboarding experience, it will help when you start to practice in the water, and will speed up your learning to ride the board behind a kite.
          BUT the more important thing to practice, is kite flying. It does NOT have to be a big kite, a small parafoil or 8' wingspan delta sport kite, will enable you to kite in a huge wind range, safely on land.
          This way you will have started to embed in your brain, the size and shape of the wind window, you will have a feel for the wind, which is never constant in direction or speed, and you will learn to relax as you fly, even being able to take your attention off the kite after a while, and talk to someone (similar skill is needed to do a water start).
          The people that learn tha fastest at our school are the ones with previous KITE FLYING experience, wakeboard skills help once you are at the board riding stage.
          Inexpereince with kites and the wind, are the biggest factors in all the accidents, protect yourself, get plenty of kite flying BEFORE attempting to learn to kite surf/board.
          http://www.kitepower.com.au