Re: Teaching/learning in very very light wind

  • blashy1
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 9, 2003
      Hi Hung!

      I'm not so sure if a bigger kite, at least in the LEI category would
      fit the bill.

      I was out with Claude on his new 21m BT and we had winds in the 5-
      7knot range and the kite would stall and just crash in the water. We
      tried for about 45 minutes with no success. Claude is a pretty light
      person as well.

      Maybe because the kite is so big it is also heavier, thus the crash
      landing in the water?

      He stayed in the water after I left hoping the wind would pick up.

      Glad you enjoyed my old kite :)

      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu@n...> wrote:
      > August is the worst month for us when 10 knots is like paradise.
      >
      > I have a number of students booked for august and simply can't
      teach due
      > to the wind limitation.
      >
      > We went out today teaching/learning in average 6/8 knots with some
      > "wonderful" gusts.
      >
      > We used a 16.6 Black Tip and it was not bad for the session but
      wished
      > that we could have use something bigger (around 21+). I (around
      125
      > lbs) was doing OK with the 16.6 Black Tip but the student (around
      180
      > lbs) was somewhat underpowered.
      >
      > When the wind is under 10 knots, go big (for sure bigger than 16.6)
      even
      > for teaching/learning.
      >
      > P.S., The 16.6 BT was doing great in such a like wind...
      >
      > P.P.S., We used the FOne 230 as it is one of the best boards for
      wind
      > under 10 knots...
      >
      > Hung.
    • hungvuatnetcomdotca
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 9, 2003
        Ricky,

        Were you out in the same wind?

        It's strange that the 21 BT would crash while the 16.6 was doing fine
        (didn't crash even once).

        Foils definitely fly better in very light wind but for teaching on
        water inflatable is more convenience.

        P.S., It was a brand new 16.6 BT.

        Hung.

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "blashy1" <blashy@h...> wrote:
        > Hi Hung!
        >
        > I'm not so sure if a bigger kite, at least in the LEI category would
        > fit the bill.
        >
        > I was out with Claude on his new 21m BT and we had winds in the 5-
        > 7knot range and the kite would stall and just crash in the water. We
        > tried for about 45 minutes with no success. Claude is a pretty light
        > person as well.
        >
        > Maybe because the kite is so big it is also heavier, thus the crash
        > landing in the water?
        >
        > He stayed in the water after I left hoping the wind would pick up.
        >
        > Glad you enjoyed my old kite :)
        >
        > --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu@n...> wrote:
        > > August is the worst month for us when 10 knots is like paradise.
        > >
        > > I have a number of students booked for august and simply can't
        > teach due
        > > to the wind limitation.
        > >
        > > We went out today teaching/learning in average 6/8 knots with some
        > > "wonderful" gusts.
        > >
        > > We used a 16.6 Black Tip and it was not bad for the session but
        > wished
        > > that we could have use something bigger (around 21+). I (around
        > 125
        > > lbs) was doing OK with the 16.6 Black Tip but the student (around
        > 180
        > > lbs) was somewhat underpowered.
        > >
        > > When the wind is under 10 knots, go big (for sure bigger than 16.6)
        > even
        > > for teaching/learning.
        > >
        > > P.S., The 16.6 BT was doing great in such a like wind...
        > >
        > > P.P.S., We used the FOne 230 as it is one of the best boards for
        > wind
        > > under 10 knots...
        > >
        > > Hung.
      • Johnnykiter(Claude)
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 9, 2003
          ---Hey Ricky i did manage to ride a few times that day underpowered in
          only 6-7 knots. At 7 to 11 knots would be best. Also i relaunch the
          thing many times in 4-6 knots but lots of work for nothing never know
          when it will come back down. The 21.0 will be good from 7 to 11 knots
          i think with a couple of size boards. I think i will like this kite
          but many times i will have to rely on others to launch it, not like
          some of my foils.