Teaching/learning in very very light wind

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 9, 2003
      August is the worst month for us when 10 knots is like paradise.

      I have a number of students booked for august and simply can't teach due
      to the wind limitation.

      We went out today teaching/learning in average 6/8 knots with some
      "wonderful" gusts.

      We used a 16.6 Black Tip and it was not bad for the session but wished
      that we could have use something bigger (around 21+). I (around 125
      lbs) was doing OK with the 16.6 Black Tip but the student (around 180
      lbs) was somewhat underpowered.

      When the wind is under 10 knots, go big (for sure bigger than 16.6) even
      for teaching/learning.

      P.S., The 16.6 BT was doing great in such a like wind...

      P.P.S., We used the FOne 230 as it is one of the best boards for wind
      under 10 knots...

      Hung.
    • blashy1
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 9, 2003
        Hi Hung!

        I'm not so sure if a bigger kite, at least in the LEI category would
        fit the bill.

        I was out with Claude on his new 21m BT and we had winds in the 5-
        7knot range and the kite would stall and just crash in the water. We
        tried for about 45 minutes with no success. Claude is a pretty light
        person as well.

        Maybe because the kite is so big it is also heavier, thus the crash
        landing in the water?

        He stayed in the water after I left hoping the wind would pick up.

        Glad you enjoyed my old kite :)

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu@n...> wrote:
        > August is the worst month for us when 10 knots is like paradise.
        >
        > I have a number of students booked for august and simply can't
        teach due
        > to the wind limitation.
        >
        > We went out today teaching/learning in average 6/8 knots with some
        > "wonderful" gusts.
        >
        > We used a 16.6 Black Tip and it was not bad for the session but
        wished
        > that we could have use something bigger (around 21+). I (around
        125
        > lbs) was doing OK with the 16.6 Black Tip but the student (around
        180
        > lbs) was somewhat underpowered.
        >
        > When the wind is under 10 knots, go big (for sure bigger than 16.6)
        even
        > for teaching/learning.
        >
        > P.S., The 16.6 BT was doing great in such a like wind...
        >
        > P.P.S., We used the FOne 230 as it is one of the best boards for
        wind
        > under 10 knots...
        >
        > Hung.
      • hungvuatnetcomdotca
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 9, 2003
          Ricky,

          Were you out in the same wind?

          It's strange that the 21 BT would crash while the 16.6 was doing fine
          (didn't crash even once).

          Foils definitely fly better in very light wind but for teaching on
          water inflatable is more convenience.

          P.S., It was a brand new 16.6 BT.

          Hung.

          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "blashy1" <blashy@h...> wrote:
          > Hi Hung!
          >
          > I'm not so sure if a bigger kite, at least in the LEI category would
          > fit the bill.
          >
          > I was out with Claude on his new 21m BT and we had winds in the 5-
          > 7knot range and the kite would stall and just crash in the water. We
          > tried for about 45 minutes with no success. Claude is a pretty light
          > person as well.
          >
          > Maybe because the kite is so big it is also heavier, thus the crash
          > landing in the water?
          >
          > He stayed in the water after I left hoping the wind would pick up.
          >
          > Glad you enjoyed my old kite :)
          >
          > --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu@n...> wrote:
          > > August is the worst month for us when 10 knots is like paradise.
          > >
          > > I have a number of students booked for august and simply can't
          > teach due
          > > to the wind limitation.
          > >
          > > We went out today teaching/learning in average 6/8 knots with some
          > > "wonderful" gusts.
          > >
          > > We used a 16.6 Black Tip and it was not bad for the session but
          > wished
          > > that we could have use something bigger (around 21+). I (around
          > 125
          > > lbs) was doing OK with the 16.6 Black Tip but the student (around
          > 180
          > > lbs) was somewhat underpowered.
          > >
          > > When the wind is under 10 knots, go big (for sure bigger than 16.6)
          > even
          > > for teaching/learning.
          > >
          > > P.S., The 16.6 BT was doing great in such a like wind...
          > >
          > > P.P.S., We used the FOne 230 as it is one of the best boards for
          > wind
          > > under 10 knots...
          > >
          > > Hung.
        • Johnnykiter(Claude)
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 9, 2003
            ---Hey Ricky i did manage to ride a few times that day underpowered in
            only 6-7 knots. At 7 to 11 knots would be best. Also i relaunch the
            thing many times in 4-6 knots but lots of work for nothing never know
            when it will come back down. The 21.0 will be good from 7 to 11 knots
            i think with a couple of size boards. I think i will like this kite
            but many times i will have to rely on others to launch it, not like
            some of my foils.