Re:Reel leash

  • Dennis Lent
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 8, 2003
      I'm in agreement with Steve. I think reel leashes are probably the best
      leash on the market.The problem with board leashes is that every body makes
      them to withstand TOO much force. I'm a long time kiter and have always
      used a leash because a) when I began everybody did b) I kite in places with
      strong currents c) I've lost a board in high winds and strong seas and d) I
      kite pretty much year round and in the winter and early spring when the
      water temps are near 0 C and 32 F the body dragging thing will fill up your
      dry suit with so much frigid water you won't need to use any type of birth
      control for months ;)
      Anyway, the best solution I've found is hair ties--you know those
      little thingies the ladies (and some of the long haired guys use to tie
      their hair back). They will keep the board attatched to you EXCEPT when you
      don't want it to be, like when you are creating the force necessary to cause
      the board slingshot back at you. The reel leash also incorprates a "fuse"
      like line that tries to do the same thing. I simply attatch one to the ring
      on my harness and then clip the leash to this (also notice the clip is at my
      harness and not down on the board so the clip pulls away rather than towards
      me). Anyway, I had to experiment with different sizes (I splurged and
      bought a variety pack with different sizes and tried them till I found one
      that would break when I wanted it to). Now it works as a leash really
      should. At low impacts and for all those times I land with one foot out or
      other board losing events, the board stays with me. When the s#$t hits the
      fan it breaks. Every one should still learn to body drag upwind because you
      will have to when it breaks but I've found this to be the best of all
      worlds. For beginners the best scenario if you want to wear a leash is as
      Steve said--helmut, impact vest, reel leash, but once your past the stage
      where you are regularly being trashed and you might want to wear a leash due
      to the peculiarities of your beach think "breakable link" not "unbreakable
      link". I realized a while back that something in the system has to break or
      your board will find its way back to you---and fast.
      Dennis
      P.S. The hair tie is also my shackle, attatching me to my chicken loop.
      Its strong enough to hold the c-loop in place but I can "clear" the loop but
      sweeping my arm down onto the loop.
      Message: 7
      Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 17:17:49 +1000
      From: "Kite Power (Sydney)" <sydney@...>
      Subject: Re: reel leash

      Hi Mike

      I never meant to imply it was a horrible thing to wear a leash or not wear
      one.
      It is foolish to not wear one if you are not very proficient at body
      dragging. Also if the wind drops while you are kiting, which is common, you
      can lose your board easily, with a reel leash this just will not happen.
      The ease of re-launching was explained in an earlier post of mine. I agree
      that if you are riding well powered, in an area with no adverse water
      currents, then you just can unclip the reel leash, but I still prefer to
      have one, regardless of the fact that I can dody drag upwind easily.
      Reel leashes can still make the board slingshot back at you, but rarely with
      the force of the surfboard urethane type.
      http://www.kitepower.com.au

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 8, 2003
        Very good advice here from an experienced addict!
        Hey Dennis, where did you come across the hair tie idea?
        A lot of New Zealanders use it, especially to hold the chicken loop onto the hook. We use a cable tie.
        I will keep the hair tie idea for the board leash on "file" to parrot back to people looking for solutions, thanks Dennis!
        :-)
        http://www.kitepower.com.au

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 8, 2003
          Dennis - I've also been using a thin bungee (hair tie) to keep my chicken loop in the hook for about a year - love it - the best $.10 ever spent - I hate to come unhooked without warning and be powered up. I can't seem to sell the idea to friends tho.
          I've used dog reel leashes and a short bungee for a year also - cheap ones ($11) last me about 20 sessions or maybe 3 months - a more expensive one ($15)is still going strong after 20 sessions and two months with more violent crashes than I like to admit. I like no leash but really don't like losing a board!
          Anyone out there able to relaunch a Airush 19.4 in 12 knots? I try hard to just not let it come down but got becalmed last week and when the wind came back I couldn't come close to getting it up.

          Rick