Re: [ksurfschool] reel leash

  • Ad am
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 7, 2003
      you can get one from sarge at
      info@...
      i enquired at KiteboardingUK.com and this is what they said:

      "�39.99 is the price of the oceanus reel, and we do free delvery in the UK.
      Nice leash works well attachs to your harness spreader bar strap and connect
      to board with quick release hook and you get a bungy cord thing which fits
      to board to help offload initial shock. we have good success with those and
      the brunotti body coil leashes 30 pounds which i always carry as a back
      should i brake one. if you one just quote the price i have quoted you to bez
      in our shop on 01502 512768 and give him your details or call me direct on
      07986 993161 Take care, Thanks for your support."

      i plan to get one soon.
      happy shopping
      adam
      :-)

      Message: 1
      Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 00:53:30 -0000
      From: "jcedwar" <jon@...>
      Subject: Reel Leashes

      I intend to use a reel leash for my new board, but I'm having
      difficulty obtaining one in the UK.

      Can anyone offer advice about how to improvise one? I'm sure they
      were originally improvised from somewhere else.

      or where I can buy one from in the UK?

      Jon

      Free download at http://www.ePrompter.com

    • Kite Power (Sydney)
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 7, 2003
        You can get spare webbing from a decent retailer now, that is the only part
        that wears in my expereince, if the reel leash is set up correctly.
        I sold about 20 replacement boards to customers last year who had been
        poorly advised to go without a leash. Some of this advice comes from the
        fashion police, who think that it is most uncool to be seen with a leash or
        helmet, impact vest, or water sunnies! :-)
        I'd rather be comfortable and responsible for my own gear.

        There is a good reason why everyone apart from begginers should wear a board
        leash, for when you crash your kite! Then just clip on your board and
        proceed to re-launch without ever having to body drag back upwind to your
        board - or worse lose it!

        Dog leashes only last a few sessions, or maybe not at all, resulting in a
        lost board = poor investment.

        The Oceanus Reel leash we sell is designed for use in salt water, all
        stainless components, and easily replaceable webbing.

        If you wear any sort of board leash for general riding you must wear a
        helmet and preferably an impact vest too.
        http://www.kitepower.com.au

        > i enquired at KiteboardingUK.com and this is what they said:
        >
        > "£39.99 is the price of the oceanus reel, and we do free delvery in the
        UK.
        > Nice leash works well attachs to your harness spreader bar strap and
        connect
        > to board with quick release hook and you get a bungy cord thing which fits
        > to board to help offload initial shock. we have good success with those
        and
        > the brunotti body coil leashes 30 pounds which i always carry as a back
        > should i brake one. if you one just quote the price i have quoted you to
        bez
        > in our shop on 01502 512768 and give him your details or call me direct on
        > 07986 993161 Take care, Thanks for your support."
        >
        > i plan to get one soon.
        > happy shopping
        > adam
        > :-)

        > Message: 1
        > Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 00:53:30 -0000
        > From: "jcedwar" <jon@...>
        > Subject: Reel Leashes
        >
        > I intend to use a reel leash for my new board, but I'm having
        > difficulty obtaining one in the UK.
        >
        > Can anyone offer advice about how to improvise one? I'm sure they
        > were originally improvised from somewhere else.
        >
        > or where I can buy one from in the UK?
        >
        > Jon

        > Sent by ePrompter, the premier email notification software.
        > Free download at http://www.ePrompter.com

        > On the move? Get Hotmail on your mobile phone
        http://www.msn.co.uk/msnmobile

        ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com

      • Mike Soultanian
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 7, 2003
          I don't think it's a horrible thing to kite without a board leash,
          especially for safety reasons. I often kitesurf on my 8'2" surfboard
          and there's no way in hell that I want that board following me if I'm
          getting dragged!! Reel-leash aside, regular board leashes can be really
          dangerous if they'll cause the board to come shooting back at you,
          *especially* for beginners. I'd rather learn to drag upwind to my board
          instead of getting smacked, and even more-so if I didn't know what I was
          doing. And a vest/helmet/etc won't protect you from a board heading
          towards your face.

          There was a guy out here at belmont that had the point of his SkyPirate
          hit his forehead because the leash yanked the board back. *That* is scary!

          Mike

        • Kite Power (Sydney)
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 8, 2003
            Hi Mike

            I never meant to imply it was a horrible thing to wear a leash or not wear one.
            It is foolish to not wear one if you are not very proficient at body dragging. Also if the wind drops while you are kiting, which is common, you can lose your board easily, with a reel leash this just will not happen.
            The ease of re-launching was explained in an earlier post of mine. I agree that if you are riding well powered, in an area with no adverse water currents, then you just can unclip the reel leash, but I still prefer to have one, regardless of the fact that I can dody drag upwind easily.
            Reel leashes can still make the board slingshot back at you, but rarely with the force of the surfboard urethane type.
            http://www.kitepower.com.au

            Kite Power (Sydney) wrote:

            > You can get spare webbing from a decent retailer now, that is the only part
            > that wears in my expereince, if the reel leash is set up correctly.
            > I sold about 20 replacement boards to customers last year who had been
            > poorly advised to go without a leash. Some of this advice comes from the
            > fashion police, who think that it is most uncool to be seen with a leash or
            > helmet, impact vest, or water sunnies! :-)
            > I'd rather be comfortable and responsible for my own gear.
            >
            > There is a good reason why everyone apart from begginers should wear a board
            > leash, for when you crash your kite! Then just clip on your board and
            > proceed to re-launch without ever having to body drag back upwind to your
            > board - or worse lose it!
            >
            > Dog leashes only last a few sessions, or maybe not at all, resulting in a
            > lost board = poor investment.
            >
            > The Oceanus Reel leash we sell is designed for use in salt water, all
            > stainless components, and easily replaceable webbing.
            >
            > If you wear any sort of board leash for general riding you must wear a
            > helmet and preferably an impact vest too.
            > Cya and
            > Goodwinds
            > Steve McCormack
            > http://www.kitepower.com.au

          • jcedwar
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 8, 2003
              Thanks for everyone's input on reel leashes. The safety reasons for
              not using leashes is justified but every injury prevention
              intervention has to consider pros & cons: possible head injuries from
              your board offshore has to be weighed-up against beginners succumbing
              to exhaustion trying to retrieve boards whilst the kite is ditched &
              pulling in the opposite direction.
              I've managed to order an Oceanus reel leash but thanks again for
              everyone's input, I think the board builders who recommend non-use of
              leashes on safety grounds need to reconsider the bigger picture.
              :-)
              Jon

              --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Ad am" <kuztardd@h...> wrote:
              > you can get one from sarge at
              > info@K...
              > i enquired at KiteboardingUK.com and this is what they said:
              >
              > "£39.99 is the price of the oceanus reel, and we do free delvery in
              the UK.
              > Nice leash works well attachs to your harness spreader bar strap
              and connect
              > to board with quick release hook and you get a bungy cord thing
              which fits
              > to board to help offload initial shock. we have good success with
              those and
              > the brunotti body coil leashes 30 pounds which i always carry as a
              back
              > should i brake one. if you one just quote the price i have quoted
              you to bez
              > in our shop on 01502 512768 and give him your details or call me
              direct on
              > 07986 993161 Take care, Thanks for your support."
              >
              > i plan to get one soon.
              > happy shopping
              > adam
              > :-)

            • Johnnykiter(Claude)
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 9, 2003
                ---Hi i use a real leash for the past couple of years with no broblem
                till now. In one day the black strap broke 6 times at different
                places. Now theres only of foot left of strap and i would like to
                replace it but i cant open it completly. I remove the 4 little philips
                screws plus two flat head screws, but the only one i cant remove is
                the big center one. If i can't replace strap, the think is garbage.
                Can someone give me any advice on how to open it, where to get new
                proper strong strap.
                As anybody have this problem before ? Thanks.

                ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

                > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Kite Power (Sydney)
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 9, 2003
                  Hi
                  I have been able to fix every reel leash that has ever been returned to me. I have sold hundreds of them.
                  The centre screw that will not come out of your reel leash must be stripped? I can't think of another reason for you not being able to get it out?
                  You should still be able to get the screw out, insert something thin and strong under the large ss washer, like a small steel ruler. Apply pressure to the washer as youn try to undo the screw in an anti-clockwise direction. Once you get it starting to unscrew, it will probably come out all the way without further pressure from the ruler under the washer.
                  If you were in Oz I would send you a secondhand spare case.
                  http://www.kitepower.com.au