Relaunch in strong wind

  • Giuseppe Piloni
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2000
      Hi all,

      yesterday I had some problems during a kitesurf session.

      I'm a beginner, about 10 sessions, and an average windsurfer, 11 mq Wipika
      Freeair 4x30 mt lines, I can go upwind.
      The wind was very gusty, between 5 and 15- 20 knots and I had some
      difficulties to control the power under gust, but I was able to go.
      After 15-20 minutes the wind became stronger, I think the range was 20-30
      knots, since I saw some windurfers overpowered with 5 mq sails, and I
      wasn't able to relaunch the kite after a fall.

      The kite was on water downwind, lines under regular tension, but the
      extremity leaned on water was aiming the sky, taking wind on the upper
      surface of the kite, and the upper extremity was crushed on water, taking
      wind on the upper surface too.
      I wasn't able to resolve the situation, and I was rescued by a friend with
      a motorboat.
      The leading edge was well inflated, no tangled lines.
      Is this a common situation and is there a solution?
      Was this situation cause by strong wind and big kite or was only my
      inexperience?

      Thanks in advance for your replies.

      Ciao.

      --