new rider old kite - no instructions

  • john_kason
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11, 2003
      I just picked up a wipika 2001 air blast and I am struggling with
      set up of the 4 lines. There appears to be 2 sets of red and green
      very thin line that I have no idea where they get attached to.

      I have looked at the web site and they do not have old manuals.

      Does any one have any experience using this model

      john
    • Kite Power (Sydney)
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 11, 2003
        Hi John
        Try this website for info, www.wipikana.com
        It sounds like you are talking about part of the reverse launching bridle? I strongly recommend that you do not use the kite with this bridle, and It would be in your best interests to get a lesson, especially on that kite.
        The bridles on this kite have caused a lot of accidents, and the kite flies better without them and you get better "feedback" from the kite as well.

        Actually I just checked that site, it no longer shows the diagram for the proper connection of the AB bridle.

        In the bag the kite came in can you find 2 short (6" approx) pieces of line with knots every inch or so?

        These are needed to attach 4 equal length flying lines, they are attached to the rear connection points on the kite, and then the flying lines are attached to them.

        Get back to me if you need more info, I'm a bit busy to search for more info for you right now.
        http://www.kitepower.com.au

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 12, 2003
          If he has the 16.4 AB wouldn't you recommend he keep the reverse launch
          bridle, and maybe on the 11.8, also.
          But it can be difficult to help people, when they are miserly on info of
          there situation, and equipment.

          Note: Steve has always been generous with his time and knowledge.

          Kite Power (Sydney) wrote:

          >Hi John
          >Try this website for info, www.wipikana.com
          >It sounds like you are talking about part of the reverse launching bridle? I strongly recommend that you do not use the kite with this bridle, and It would be in your best interests to get a lesson, especially on that kite.
          >The bridles on this kite have caused a lot of accidents, and the kite flies better without them and you get better "feedback" from the kite as well.
          >
          >Actually I just checked that site, it no longer shows the diagram for the proper connection of the AB bridle.
          >
          >In the bag the kite came in can you find 2 short (6" approx) pieces of line with knots every inch or so?
          >
          >These are needed to attach 4 equal length flying lines, they are attached to the rear connection points on the kite, and then the flying lines are attached to them.
          >
          >Get back to me if you need more info, I'm a bit busy to search for more info for you right now.
          >Cya and
          >Goodwinds
          >Steve McCormack
          >http://www.kitepower.com.au

        • Kite Power (Sydney)
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 12, 2003
            If he has bought a 16.4AB as his first kite, to learn kiteboarding, then he is screwed! :-) It is hard to re-launch that beast even with the bridle, but if the bridle breaks when you are using it you are going to wish you were home in your warm bed!
            The 11.8 can be re-launched easily without the bridle, it just takes practice and correct technique.
            To really help this person we need him to provide more info,
            How heavy are they. What are the average winds in their area, Are there established schools or shops in his area? What is the area like where he intends to teach himself? Who sold him the AB as a begginer kite, with the bridles half connected?
            It sounds like he has been treated pretty badly, even if he bought privately?
            http://www.kitepower.com.au