Very steep wind gradient danger!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2003
      I went out today in pretty steep wind gradient.

      The condition looked 15 gusting to 20/25 knots but my handle held wind
      meter only measured 11 gusting to 15 knots. Most windsurfers also told
      me that the condition was much lighter than it looked and some of them
      even rigged 7.5 m sail.

      So I rigged a "moderate" 12.5 inflatable.

      But when I started to launch the kite, holly shit, the moment the kite
      was above 5m from the ground, it started pull like a truck and
      eventually rip the bar right out of my hand.

      Fortunately I did not hook in (I never hook in while launching)...

      I ended up enjoying the day making huge jumps with a kite 1/2 the
      size...