Re: [ksurfschool] Very light wind kitesurfing

  • Kite Power (Sydney)
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2003
      Hi Rick
      No worries, just send the beers to the shop! I would have thought you could milk more power from the Lift than the aero? Always depower high AR kites (shorten front lines by a few inches) in super light winds, this gives you more power because the kite flies faster.
      Yeah just go with the bigger surfboards you have at first, if you don't like them try the smaller slalom boards you may have or can borrow.
      It is essential to actively sheet in and out in light winds in synchronicity with the up and down strokes of the kite. Sheet out when the kite has completed the down stroke and is starting to fly up, and sheet in on the down stroke, it is subtle, but makes a huge difference.
      I often notice some people out on the water with a kite size that others sitting on the beach have, but they can stay upwind and cruise when others can't, the difference is the skill of the kite flyer.
      http://www.kitepower.com.au

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 5, 2003
        Thanks Steve,
        I forwarded your letter to some newbies I've been trying to teach and explain things to. One of them thought you were speaking some foreign language. It is probably my bad habits, but I am positive I need more wind with Airush lift 19.4 than the Naish AERO 20.
        We've had good winds here in the Gulf of Mexico with tropical storm Bill in the area so I haven't tried kiting with a surfboard yet. Thanks again for the help.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 5, 2003
          Hi Rick
          Good on you for helping sort out some begginers! I assume you understand what I am saying about actively sheeting?
          If not fire away, and I will try to write it out more clearly. It may help to just show the begginers, rather than try to explain it first. Explain it again after they have had a bit more flight time, work with the one who seems to pick it up first.
          http://www.kitepower.com.au