Re: [ksurfschool] Dirtsurfer boards

  • John F. Santos
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
      I have an MBS Ambush Warrior, more of an entry level board that I only paid $130 US dollars for because it was mismarked at a sporting goods store. It doesn't have springs, but it would be worth it for me to upgrade it if I could go faster and not be afraid of speed wobbles (Those things hurt!) I weigh about 195 lbs which is just about the upper weight limit for that board.

      My current plan is to put a bungee spring on one side of the board's trucks like it shows in the www.kitesurfingschool.org page. Does anyone know if it would be better to upgrade to trucks with springs and eggs? I noticed that the dirsurfers go for around $500 USD and that makes me just want to upgrade my mountainboard.

      Thanks for the info!

      John

      "Kite Power (Sydney)" <sydney@...> wrote:
      Dirtsurfers are OK John but there is one sitting in my garage gathering dust because everyone here prefers to ride all terrain boards (mountain boards is another common name).
      Dirtsurfers are not very manouverable compared to an atb.
      Speed wobbles are not an issue anymore, you need to fit these urethane egg shaped thingys inside the coil springs, which then act as dampeners.
      If you need convincing, check out the top 2 vids on the kitepower website video section.
      What brand or type of mountainboard do you have? Does it have 2 coils springs at each end?
      http://www.kitepower.com.au

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
        Hi John
        There are a number of mods you can do to that board, and if you started at $130US, it should be worth at least changing to the new alloy channel trucks, if not those then just go for the steel ones, which should be discounted now if you can find a store that stocks them.
        The Ambush warrior is an entry level board, but like most MBS boards it can be upgraded. It was designed for a rider up to 60-70kg, if you weigh more than that consider selling it and getting aboard designed for your weight. The new MBS Core 16 is a good board.
        Anyway once you fit the new trucks, you can put shock absorbers (egg shocks - yellow or orange) in them and speed wobbles disappear.

        It is not necessary to upgrade to channel trucks and springs, to use the board with a kite, especially while you are learning. The oversize skteboard trucks work really well on several brands of boards on the market, so do not write them off as inferior to channel trucks with dual springs. You can go to a skate shop and get new HD donuts for a few $$, if yours are a bit worn and pinched out.
        http://www.kitepower.com.au

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
          That picture on kitesurfingschool was my hacked
          together board. It originally was the same style of
          board that you have - with the bar running length ways
          along the bottom.

          Two things, freakin heavy - no good for jumping. And
          no flex.. you feel every little bump

          Upgrade for a more modern board where the deck flexes,
          use the bungee if you like (it costs next to nothing
          to install) and adjust your springs, whack some extra
          washers on the side you want to stiffen up - heal side

          One final thing for reducing speed wobble - dont stand
          straight up on the board at speed. Just dont do it.

          regards
          --- "John F. Santos" <bamoffthelip@...>
          wrote:
          > I have an MBS Ambush Warrior, more of an entry level
          > board that I only paid $130 US dollars for because
          > it was mismarked at a sporting goods store. It
          > doesn't have springs, but it would be worth it for
          > me to upgrade it if I could go faster and not be
          > afraid of speed wobbles (Those things hurt!) I weigh
          > about 195 lbs which is just about the upper weight
          > limit for that board.
          >
          > My current plan is to put a bungee spring on one
          > side of the board's trucks like it shows in the
          > www.kitesurfingschool.org page. Does anyone know if
          > it would be better to upgrade to trucks with springs
          > and eggs? I noticed that the dirsurfers go for
          > around $500 USD and that makes me just want to
          > upgrade my mountainboard.
          >
          > Thanks for the info!
          >
          > John
          >

          > "Kite Power (Sydney)" <sydney@...>
          > wrote:
          > Dirtsurfers are OK John but there is one sitting in
          > my garage gathering dust because everyone here
          > prefers to ride all terrain boards (mountain boards
          > is another common name).
          > Dirtsurfers are not very manouverable compared to an
          > atb.
          > Speed wobbles are not an issue anymore, you need to
          > fit these urethane egg shaped thingys inside the
          > coil springs, which then act as dampeners.
          > If you need convincing, check out the top 2 vids on
          > the kitepower website video section.
          > What brand or type of mountainboard do you have?
          > Does it have 2 coils springs at each end?
          > Cya and
          > Goodwinds
          > Steve McCormack
          > http://www.kitepower.com.au

          =====
          Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Cha-Chu.

          But I think it's Colin. --Tommy Cooper

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • John F. Santos
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
            I am a bit unclear as to whether I can put channel trucks on this board, merely because I was looking at some trucks online and they said they are "Compatible with the all MBS Channel Truck boards" ( http://www.mountainboardz.com/mountainboard_accessories/mbs_hubs.htm)
            Since mine didn't originally come with channel trucks, does that mean that the mounting hole pattern will not fit the mounting hole pattern that was drilled with the oversize skateboard trucks?

            If they will fit I think that would be a worthwhile investment for me.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
              And don't look at the ground running under your board, or that is where you will be!
              :-)
              http://www.kitepower.com.au

              =====

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
                Hi John,
                If you have access to a drill, the compatability expands to include all boards! If you can afford the newest alloy MBS trucks and ball bearing pivot, then go for them, if not any of the steel channel trucks around the marketplace will do the job.
                http://www.kitepower.com.au

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
                  Ha! Great point! I was thinking I was going to avoid
                  drilling any holes in the deck because I was afraid of
                  weakening it and making it vulnerable to breakage, but
                  now that you put the idea in my mind I realize there
                  are no tortional forces directly over the trucks.
                  Thanks!!

                  --- "Kite Power (Sydney)" <sydney@...>
                  wrote:

                  ---------------------------------
                  Hi John,
                  If you have access to a drill, the compatability
                  expands to include all boards! If you can afford the
                  newest alloy MBS trucks and ball bearing pivot, then
                  go for them, if not any of the steel channel trucks
                  around the marketplace will do the job.
                  http://www.kitepower.com.au

                  Anybody have any experience with dirsurfer
                  boards?

                  Is it worth it to spend the money on one to
                  avoid speed wobbles or is
                  putting bungee cords on a mountain board good
                  enough?

                  Thanks
                  John

                  http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm for