RE: [ksurfschool] Very light wind kitesurfing

  • David Stanek
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 30, 2003
      I don't want to do use this forum for any commercial advertisement but .
      I can guarantee you will be able to stay upwind and have fun riding in
      wind 7-8 mph with our JOJO RAGE 12.0 m2 (JOJO waterfoil kites)on
      6'directional board. Maybe the Rage is not the best kites for super high
      jumps but it is fast to set-up, easy to ride and re-launch even in light
      winds, good not only for kite boarding but also for mountaiboards and
      riding on snow ... and for sure cheaper than most of the 20m2 bladder
      kites.

      Regards
      David
      www.skylinewings.com <http://www.skylinewings.com/>
      www.factionkites.com <http://www.factionkites.com/>

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2003
        Steve,
        Thank you for your info! I've seen the guys on surfboard in the videos and have read about it. I've a ton of windsurfing boards and some surfboards and will give it a try. I'm sure my 20 Nash Aero is much better in light winds than the 19.4 Airrush - lower aspect ratio. I think you saved me some kite bucks - I owe you.
        Great day here today (Panama City Beach, FL.) - over 20 mph sideshore and 4-8 ft waves. Over powered on a 12m and 140 cm but having too much fun to go in and rig down. A great 6-7 hour session!! From tropical Storm Bill in the Gulf of Mexico.
        Thanks again - I really appreciate your advise.

[...]

      • Kite Power (Sydney)
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2003
          Quadrifoil made great kites, and provided you treated the X series kitesurfer foils with kid gloves they worked while they were in the air. If they landed on the water and sat there for more than a couple of mins, you were swimming with a very big bag of water.
          Your arc stacks will be a much more useable option in light winds. One of the things that made the quadrifoil kitesurfers work, was the very light 100% Icarex construction. Icarex is a very strong, slightly brittle, double coated, polyester, spinnaker cloth, approx 1/2 the weight of the Chikara cloth most other foils including your arcs are made from The LFT is one reason they are working well though, cos that is one big little board!
          http://www.kitepower.com.au

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2003
            Hi Rick
            No worries, just send the beers to the shop! I would have thought you could milk more power from the Lift than the aero? Always depower high AR kites (shorten front lines by a few inches) in super light winds, this gives you more power because the kite flies faster.
            Yeah just go with the bigger surfboards you have at first, if you don't like them try the smaller slalom boards you may have or can borrow.
            It is essential to actively sheet in and out in light winds in synchronicity with the up and down strokes of the kite. Sheet out when the kite has completed the down stroke and is starting to fly up, and sheet in on the down stroke, it is subtle, but makes a huge difference.
            I often notice some people out on the water with a kite size that others sitting on the beach have, but they can stay upwind and cruise when others can't, the difference is the skill of the kite flyer.
            http://www.kitepower.com.au

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 5, 2003
              Thanks Steve,
              I forwarded your letter to some newbies I've been trying to teach and explain things to. One of them thought you were speaking some foreign language. It is probably my bad habits, but I am positive I need more wind with Airush lift 19.4 than the Naish AERO 20.
              We've had good winds here in the Gulf of Mexico with tropical storm Bill in the area so I haven't tried kiting with a surfboard yet. Thanks again for the help.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 5, 2003
                Hi Rick
                Good on you for helping sort out some begginers! I assume you understand what I am saying about actively sheeting?
                If not fire away, and I will try to write it out more clearly. It may help to just show the begginers, rather than try to explain it first. Explain it again after they have had a bit more flight time, work with the one who seems to pick it up first.
                http://www.kitepower.com.au