New to the group, looking for Kite repair supplies

  • Erik Lassen
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 26, 2003
      I have been lurking on the this group for the last little while. Do
      any of you guys know where on the web you can order kite repair
      materail? I have seen the repair materail that looks like a sheet
      of sturdy packing tape with really sticky glue, but since I don't
      have a local kite store here in Utah, I was wondering if anyone knew
      of a good place online that these things can be ordered from.
      Thanks
      Erik
      Provo, UT
    • Kite Power (Sydney)
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 26, 2003
        HI Erik
        Kitepower would be a good source if you lived a bit closer! However there are a multitude of stores in the USA that can help you out.
        Check out the AKA website, it has links to more than 100 stores that sell kite making gear.
        http://www.aka.kite.org/
        Or
        http://www.kfs.org/kites/

        http://www.kitepower.com.au

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 26, 2003
          This is a good link to bookmark too.
          http://www.traders.kitez.com/
          http://www.kitepower.com.au

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 27, 2003
            I buy my repair material from
            http://www.citystar.com/hang-em-high/ushop/index.cgi

            I've had excellent service from them.

            The sale repair tape you mention is great for small
            cuts of around 1-2 inches. It all really depends on
            where the cut is. The repair tape (stick on) will not
            work very well where there is any stress.

            regards
            --- Erik Lassen <elderelvis@...> wrote:
            > I have been lurking on the this group for the last
            > little while. Do
            > any of you guys know where on the web you can order
            > kite repair
            > materail? I have seen the repair materail that
            > looks like a sheet
            > of sturdy packing tape with really sticky glue, but
            > since I don't
            > have a local kite store here in Utah, I was
            > wondering if anyone knew
            > of a good place online that these things can be
            > ordered from.
            > Thanks
            > Erik
            > Provo, UT

            =====
            Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Cha-Chu.

            But I think it's Colin. --Tommy Cooper

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
          • Tabitha
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 28, 2003
              You can buy the tape (spinnaker repair tape) at any chandlery.
              In my experience you can repair an hell of a lot bigger tears than '1
              to 2 inches'
              I have a repair on my kite that is about 5x8 inches in an L shape
              done with the tape. It's stood up to a seasons use with no sign of
              lifting (Thanks to the person who launched my kite into a tree!) That
              repair is in the canopy.
              The trick is to make sure you kite is completely clean and dry before
              you start and rub like hell on the tape when you do the repair. The
              adhesive appears to be slightly heat activated. If you are rubbing
              so hard your fingers burn then it should work.
              Oh... and cut the repair so the are no straight edges on it, that way
              it wont lift. i.e if you have a striaght rip cut an oval shape to go
              over it.
              Hope this helps!
              Tabitha

              --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, p <chickenoriental@y...> wrote:
              > I buy my repair material from
              > http://www.citystar.com/hang-em-high/ushop/index.cgi
              >
              > I've had excellent service from them.
              >
              > The sale repair tape you mention is great for small
              > cuts of around 1-2 inches. It all really depends on
              > where the cut is. The repair tape (stick on) will not
              > work very well where there is any stress.
              >
              > regards
              > --- Erik Lassen <elderelvis@h...> wrote:
              > > I have been lurking on the this group for the last
              > > little while. Do
              > > any of you guys know where on the web you can order
              > > kite repair
              > > materail? I have seen the repair materail that
              > > looks like a sheet
              > > of sturdy packing tape with really sticky glue, but
              > > since I don't
              > > have a local kite store here in Utah, I was
              > > wondering if anyone knew
              > > of a good place online that these things can be
              > > ordered from.
              > > Thanks
              > > Erik
              > > Provo, UT
              > >

              > =====
              > Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5
              people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or
              my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Cha-Chu.

              > But I think it's Colin. --Tommy Cooper

              > http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • Kite Power (Sydney)
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 28, 2003
                Hi Tabitha

                Rubbing so hard till my fingers start to burn always works for me too!
                Sorry!
                Its not windy here. Been a bit ordinary up there? Which is a bummer as you will not be able to tell callum jelousy invoking stories when he gets back from NZ. You could lie though, I'll back you up?
                http://www.kitepower.com.au