Re: A Few Questions

  • stuartdbenson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 19, 2003
      I know you won't like this reply, but kiteboarding is so dangerous
      as a sport - in ways that beginners in particular can't or don't
      always appreciate - that it can't safely be learned from a DVD or a
      website. My strong recommendation is to get lessons. Your questions
      will be answered, and you'll be safer both for yourself and for
      other water and beach users.

      I'm a windsurfer of 20 years plus experience and have kitesurfed for
      3. Although I've broken my wrist windsurfing, I regard it as
      inherently safe. Kiteboarding is inherently unsafe, not just for you
      but for people around you.
    • Badcoconut
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 19, 2003
        I learned to Kiteboard using videos and websites ( actually, what I
        learned, is how to hurt myself and others) i wised up and got professional
        instruction. Taking lessons allows you to learn quickly,safely,and
        contributes to positive support of this great sport, and the starving
        instructors (they spend their grocery money on kites)

        > I know you won't like this reply, but kiteboarding is so dangerous
        > as a sport - in ways that beginners in particular can't or don't
        > always appreciate - that it can't safely be learned from a DVD or a
        > website. My strong recommendation is to get lessons. Your questions
        > will be answered, and you'll be safer both for yourself and for
        > other water and beach users.
        >
        > I'm a windsurfer of 20 years plus experience and have kitesurfed for
        > 3. Although I've broken my wrist windsurfing, I regard it as
        > inherently safe. Kiteboarding is inherently unsafe, not just for you
        > but for people around you.

        ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com

      • Kite Power (Sydney)
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 19, 2003
          You really should try to get a lesson from an experienced IKO instructor. They would be able to answer all your questions, by showing you the answers rather than trying to tell you here in words. There are so many small things to learn, self teaching on a large inflato, makes you a candidate for a Darwin award (headline reads - Novice kiteboarder impaled on tree!)

          Windsurfing teaches you nothing about kite flying, the only benefit it gives you is a sense of what and where the wind is, and you are used to getting wet!

          Forget the wakeboard with bindings, only use it if you can fit footstraps.

          To re-launch, pull in the front lines a couple of meters, and release them as you swim towards the kite, once kite is on its back pojnt bar at the kite and swim in the opposite direction to the way the kite is drifting, pull on the upper line and release on the lower as necessary to get the kite to take off.
          If the wind is below 10 knots for get and swim in. If you get a lesson you will be shown a technique that saves you from swimming.

          The pullet bar you have seen in mags is to make slow turning kites turn faster, or to free up the middle of the bar for the people who need to do wake style moves and hang on to their kite with one hand.

          Please get a lesson for you own health.

          http://www.kitepower.com.au

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 20, 2003
            Hi!

            Last session of kiteing I notice that there is some
            sand in my tubes!! Does anyone know how to remove
            this? I.e is it possible to clean the inside of the
            tubes? I don't want the kite to get heavier and
            heavier each time I'm surfing... ;)
            (The kite is a Wipika free air)...

            cheers
            /Jakob

            Gå före i kön och få din sajt värderad på nolltid med Yahoo! Express
            Se mer på: http://se.docs.yahoo.com/info/express/help/index.html
          • Philip
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 20, 2003
              Take the bladder out and run a hose through it.

              The real problem is the sand will destroy the bladder.

              Philip Mann
              Inland Sea Windsurf Co.
              http://www.inlandsea.com
              Kitesite.net
              http://www.kitesite.net
              toll free 888-465-2632

              Last session of kiteing I notice that there is some
              sand in my tubes!! Does anyone know how to remove
              this? I.e is it possible to clean the inside of the
              tubes? I don't want the kite to get heavier and
              heavier each time I'm surfing... ;)
              (The kite is a Wipika free air)...

              cheers
              /Jakob

              Gå före i kön och få din sajt värderad på nolltid med Yahoo! Express Se
              mer på: http://se.docs.yahoo.com/info/express/help/index.html

              To unsubscribe, please send an email to
              ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Kite Power (Sydney)
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 20, 2003
                Pump the kite up to nearly full, get a helper to hold one end of the LE, and you on the other. Make sure the valve is pointing to the ground (down). Shake the kite, then have a third friend pop the valve, sand should come out provided it was dry.
                If it is wet, trying to remove it all will damage the kite, so leave it there unless there is so much that it affects the kites flying.
                We often find that luffing kites, that are normally known for their stability, often have large amounts of sand and water (particularly water) in the LE bladder.
                Get into the habit of being very clean with your pump, always pump a bit before inserting nozzle into valve to clear any sand that may have gotten into the pump, clean pump regularly.
                Clean pumpliness is next to awesomekiteliness.

                http://www.kitepower.com.au