Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Newbie

  • chandler@gunderlandmarine.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
      Thank you Steve for your comments and especially the safety
      tips. I have been flying a training kite for some time now it
      is an Air Rush 2.0 and have acquired the basic skills. Great
      to hear from someone so far away; I am in Corpus Christi,
      Texas on the Gulf of Mexico, great sailing places- come see
      us.

      Bob Beach
    • David Alger
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
        Lots of us greys lurking here. I've been trying to get good at
        windsurfing for about 9 short New England summers, thought
        kitesurfing looked like more fun and easier. Taught myself last
        summer, very cautiously, with luck, no accidents. Got up on the
        board for a couple of seconds. This March I went to Cabarete in the
        Dominican Republic for four days to nail it, but surprisingly with
        instruction I did not progress much. That first ride is tough,
        unless you wakeboard. Powering the kite correctly while riding for
        the first time has been tricky.

        I've never hurt myself windsurfing, maybe luck. I have been pulled
        up the beach launching when I did not position myself correctly with
        a helper (I was used to self-launching). Also been slammed into the
        water by a powered up kite, snapping my neck pretty hard when my
        helmet hit the water. Kite power is awesome, probably because you
        can't just let go of the boom. It is more dangerous, but at our age
        we are going to be damn careful. Just bought an Ocean Rodeo bar with
        push away quick release... Great to hear from all you guys.
      • Remtgnow@AOL.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
          bob, welcome to kitesurfing!
          I'm 56 yrs old adn still not grown up so my young kiting friends tell me.
          I've been flying traction kites for about 5 years.
          started w/open cell foils and a buggy/then skiis for the winter and now
          inflatables for about 3 seasons now.
          Here's my 2 cents.
          go for it.
          The newer equip is so much better and now there is certified instruction. I
          had to learn the hard way.
          learn safety first!!!
          Less stress on the knees than windsurfing.
          that background willl really only help with wind knowledge. It's really
          closer to wakeoarding or water skiing.
          The load on the legs is probably more.
          I'm not sure that it's harder on the body. it is more dangerous!!!! bad
          things can happen really fast but you can limit most of the potential problems
          thru safety.
          take a lesson.

          Phil Burke

        • chandler@gunderlandmarine.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
            Thanks David and Phil,

            More of us out there than I thought. It seems safety is the
            big message I am getting from everyone. I am taking lessons
            next week with a PASA certified school and I am certain the
            relative safety issues will be addressed. I will let you know
            how the lessons go.

            Thanks again y'all.

            Bob Beach
          • Tom Rolf
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
              Speaking of safety, Rick has done the kite community a great service,
              in compiling a collection of what can go wrong.
              Better to learn from a vicarious accident, rather than the real thing.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
                G'day Bob

                I would love to come over however I am not a big fan of sitting on planes to far away countries when I have only explored probably less than 10% of Oz's kiteboarding spots.
                I have heard your area is really good though but tends to get only lighter winds is that correct? If it is then they are good conditions for those with slightly worn out bodies! :-)
                Sounds like you are on the right track to get into and enjoy kiteboarding safely.
                Have fun.
                http://www.kitepower.com.au

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 21, 2003
                  I just returned from Kauai and saw this sport in its purest form for
                  the first time.
                  Mind you I have seen people here in the Bay Area (S.F.) participating
                  too. It
                  looks fantastic. I want to learn this and become good at it. Here is
                  my situation
                  and what I would like is advice on how to begin this persuit:

                  First of all I am 54 years old. 6'1" and 220 lbs. I am not a physical
                  fitness nut
                  but I am also not a couch potatoe. I fly kites (on the land). I have
                  about 6-8
                  kites that include 2 and 4 line stunt kites, parafoils and even a
                  Revolution (my
                  favorite). So I know the kite flying skills well. I have not tried
                  any 'traction' kites
                  but my parafoils are almost identical. When I was young I was an
                  excellent
                  waterskier. I have never been very good at surfing but given the
                  right
                  conditions I can have fun.

                  So I live in the SF Bay Area where there is lots of sailboarding and
                  as I
                  mentioned I see kiteboarders too. What recommendations can you all
                  give me
                  on getting started in this sport? Is there a school here or ? I
                  taught myself river
                  kayaking from books and visualization ( blew my instructors mind that
                  I was
                  able to complete my roll the first time). I also would like to
                  purchase some
                  equipment. I don't stay in the learning to take baby steps role for
                  very long but
                  I also don't need the latest Ferrari either. So I would like to find
                  a set of
                  equipment that will allow me to learn but to also serve a fast
                  learning curve in
                  skill development. Used or new? Is the equipment aging or ? I
                  remember
                  seeing sailboarding take off. The first boards were like tanks
                  compared to
                  todays boards. If I buy used equipment how far back in time can you
                  go
                  without being caught driving the latest Edsel?

                  So to review:

                  1. Learning process.
                  2. Equipment
                  3. Am I kidding myself at my age?

                  Thanks
                • Kite Power (Sydney)
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 22, 2003
                    G'day
                    No you are not kidding yourself! You can do it for sure especially since you have a lot of skills with a kite, especially Revs!
                    But, this sport can kill you, unlike the kite flying you are used to, it is not for everyone, the forces involved are massive, and every honest kiter will admit that the kites power demands respect/fear!
                    GET LESSONS, you are taking a huge risk to yourself and anyone downwind of you if you even attempt to fly a suitable sized kite without tuition. Try to get a lesson from an IKO trained instructor.
                    Go to a kite shop if possible, one that was around before kiteboarding began, that has staff that kitesurf, if not go to a windsurf/kiteshop, and seek out the staff that actually kite.
                    If they are casual about kite leashes, and safety shop elsewhere.
                    Kites from the major brands, made since 2001, are all pretty good, and there are a lot of closeout deals around.
                    Avoid buying used except from reputable shops, avoid kites that have untidy looking repairs in the bladders.
                    The sport is 80%+ kite flying skill, so it does not matter one bit that you have never surfed. Wear a helmet and flotation/impact vest at all times while learning.
                    http://www.kitepower.com.au